This Week We Celebrate Healthcare Volunteerism!
For the week of November 27, the Patriots Charitable Foundation will work in cooperation with Covidien and AstraZeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston, a program of the American Cancer Society (ACS).
How do healthcare volunteers make an impact?AstraZeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston, a program of ACS
Patriots Sergio Brown, Zoltan Mesko and Danny Aiken visited pediatric patients at UMASS Children's Medical Center in Worcester on November 29 as part of the week-long focus on Health Care Volunteerism in conjunction with the season-long "Celebrate Volunteerism" campaign.
- You help save lives and fulfill your own by providing support to cancer patients and their families while they receive life-saving cancer treatment during their stay with us.
- You help provide that continuity of care so important to our guests far from home who join us from all over the world by being that consistent, friendly and helpful presence as they come and go from our facility, often over a period of weeks or months.
- You are the cornerstone of the American Cancer Society and the AstraZeneca Hope Lodge. Our staff is small but our cause and mission is big. We rely on volunteers to keep our doors open and work closely with staff to meet a variety of needs associated with our guests who join us from out of town, far away from their own homes.
- Given all the needs surrounding a cancer diagnoses and all the resources required to support them, as a volunteer you build relationships and networks that last a lifetime.
- A person's overall health and well-being is a fundamental necessity. Without the help of volunteers and their support of organizations such as the American Cancer Society, Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program and many community health centers, the vast array of quality care programs wouldn't be available to those most in need. These organizations cannot operate alone and rely heavily on the help of volunteers to create awareness, improve facilities and provide expertise in serving the health needs of communities.
Congratulations to this week's "Patriots Difference Maker" - Barbara Davis
Barbara Davis,Volunteer, AstraZeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston
Barbara Davis exemplifies the strength and impact of a volunteer. Bobbi is one of the most dedicated volunteers of the American Cancer Society donating her time, expertise and treasure to the fight against cancer. Bobbi was involved with the American Cancer Society's AstraZeneca Hope Lodge from when it was just a dream. She served on the Hope Lodge Design Committee meeting almost monthly for nearly four years while providing hundreds of hours of her expertise as an interior design consultant free of charge and playing a key role in making the Lodge a "Home away from Home". She also served on the Campaign Committee helping provide the funds to make the Lodge a reality and using her extensive network to spread the word and find donors for so many of the Lodges daily needs. Kate Adamson the Lodge's Assistant Director has worked closely with Bobbi since it's opening "Bobbi has become a well-known name amongst our guests. Bringing in such wonderful crafts and delectable treats for our guests on a regular basis; she has established relationships with those that she has fought to give this opportunity of a "home away from home" to. Her activities are always looked forward to by the guests that know her and those that she has yet to meet, but have heard by word-of-mouth. They are able to relax and remove themselves from their daily worries of treatment and enjoy working with their hands and creating something spectacular." Bobbi's dedication to the Hope Lodge and the fight against cancer is a shining example of the impact a volunteer can have on the lives of those traveling the cancer journey.
What healthcare volunteer opportunities can I pursue?
American Cancer Society - AstraZeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston
- Prepare a meal for guests during the week.
- Provide reception coverage & assistance with special administrative projects.
- Join our Mind/Body Program consisting of yoga instructors, nutritionists, massage therapists, and chefs who run events to promote healthy and active living.
- Run a campaign to obtain gift cards from local stores or tickets to Boston-area events and museums.
- Adopt-a-Holiday facilitating a social or other event that is important to you while providing a social opportunity for our guests.
The Patriots Charitable Foundation is proud to work in conjunction Covidien and the Astra Zeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston, a program of ACS for "Healthcare Volunteerism Week"
Astra Zeneca Hope Lodge Center in Boston
Patriots Nate Solder and Malcolm Williams served dinner to cancer patients at the AstraZeneca Hope Lodge in Boston on November 29 as part of the week-long focus on Health Care Volunteerism in conjunction with the season-long "Celebrate Volunteerism" campaign.
- The American Cancer Society combines an unyielding passion with nearly a century of experience to save lives and end suffering from cancer. As a global grassroots force of more than three million volunteers, we fight for every birthday threatened by every cancer in every community. We save lives by helping people stay well be preventing cancer or detecting it early; helping people get well by being there for them during and after a cancer diagnosis; and by finding cures through investment in groundbreaking discovery; and by fighting back by rallying lawmakers to pass law to defeat cancer and by rallying communities worldwide to join the fight. As the nation's largest non-governmental investor in cancer research, contributing more than $3.5 billion, we turn what we know about cancer into what we do. As a result, more than 11 million people in America who have had cancer and countless more who have avoided it would be celebrating birthdays this year. To learn more about us or to get help, call us anytime, day or night, at 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org
- Covidien's Philanthropic Mission: The Covidien Partnership for Neighborhood Wellness is our giving and community outreach program. We promote health and well-being working side-by-side with the people and communities we serve. By making grants, donating products and supporting volunteerism, the Covidien Partnership for Neighborhood Wellness seeks to improve the quality of people's lives. Covidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien manufactures, distributes and services a diverse range of industry-leading product lines in three segments: Medical Devices, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies. With 2011 revenue of $11.6 billion, Covidien has 41,000 employees worldwide in more than 65 countries, and its products are sold in over 140 countries. Please visit www.covidien.com to learn more about our business.