Coming to an upcoming Patriots game? Participate in the upcoming TOY COLLECTION at the Patriots versus Colts game on 12/4. Click here to learn more.
This Week We Celebrate Hunger Awareness Volunteerism!
For the week of November 20, the Patriots Charitable Foundation will work in cooperation with the Greater Boston Food Bank.
How do youth hunger volunteers make an impact?
- Volunteers sorting food at GBFB help us feed 545,000 people per year!
- Volunteers sort through 3 million pounds of donated products.
- Volunteers save us $600,000 per year in labor costs.
- Volunteer food drives help feed needy families with nutritious food options.
Congratulations to this week's "Patriots Difference Maker" - Sam Cron
Sam Cron,Volunteer, Morgan Memorial Goodwill
Sam Cron has volunteered at Morgan Memorial Goodwill for more than 15 years, playing an instrumental role in numerous events and Goodwill's job training program. He is described as a ‘wonderful advocate for anyone in need.' . In 1996 during his tenure at Stop & Shop, Sam helped establish a relationship between the grocery chain and Goodwill that continues to this day. Stop & Shop is a partner to Goodwill on a variety of initiatives, including hiring Goodwill's job training program graduates, hosting donation centers at their stores, encouraging their employees to be involved with Goodwill's volunteer opportunities and more. This has included funding for programs that provide workshops on family strengthening topics such as healthy eating and financial literacy and helping participants access healthy food and nutrition initiatives. Even after retiring from Stop & Shop in 2007, Sam has maintained his relationship with Goodwill on an ongoing personal level. With over 25 years experience in human resources and labor relations, Sam continues to work with Goodwill and volunteers every week to help program participants find jobs and to support Boston Career Link, the one-stop career center Goodwill operates. He also recently served as a member of the Event Committee for the Good Party and is often a volunteer at Goodwill's Thanks-for-Giving dinner, Youth Holiday Party and other events. Sam's boundless energy and expertise have been an amazing asset to Goodwill over the years. Sam has told Goodwill staff on numerous occasions, "This is fun for me. I've had a great life and I love being able to help.
What hunger awareness volunteer opportunities can I pursue?
Greater Boston Food Bank
- Volunteer to sort donated food items or pack bags of groceries in our warehouse, Monday-Saturday. To sign up, go to our website at www.gbf.org or email email@example.com
- We have a fun new mobile-based app where you can draw a picture of a food item, automatically triggering a donation of one meal to a family in need. Visit www.giveadoodle.org on your mobile phone or iPad.
- Run a food drive in your community to collect nutritious shelf-stable food for needy families. Any non-perishable item is welcome. You can also run a turkey drive, forming a team with your family and friends, gathering donations of $16 for a turkey for a family. Tips on running a food drive and where items can be dropped off are at www.gbfb.org.
The Patriots Charitable Foundation is proud to work in conjunction with the Greater Boston Food Bank for "Hunger Awareness Volunteerism Week"