This Week we Celebrate Service Projects Volunteerism!
In cooperation with ReBuilding Together Boston
How do service project volunteers make an impact?
- Volunteering for service projects is a great tangible way to help others and show kindness.
- Service projects can be a great teambuilding activity for your friends, family or co-workers.
- Every person has great talents and abilities and using your abilities to help others would make a great positive impact on your neighborhood and city!
- It's fun to take on a project and accomplish it with others.
- Spending time and getting to know the people you are serving is a great way to make new friends
Congratulations to this week's "Patriots Difference Maker" - Chris Pedersen
Chris PedersenVolunteer, Rebuilding Together Boston
Chris Pedersen is one of the longest and most dedicated volunteers, having served in numerous capacities with Rebuilding Together Boston since 1999. For the past two years he has served as Co-Chair of the Board, has served for two years as its Secretary, and has been on the Board for many of his eleven years with the organization. Chris also draws on his do-it-yourself talents to deal with brass tacks-literally. He has served as our Warehouse Manager spending hours and hours cataloging, sorting and distributing materials and equipment from our warehouse prior to, for and after our National Rebuilding Day each April.
He has also participated for many years as a hands-on worker on our project days, involving hundreds of others from his company as volunteers. One of the more emotional moments for him as a RTB volunteer came after a long hard day of work as the project manager for a home that he was renovating with several other Grand Circle Corporation associates. When the group was done making the improvements, the homeowner came up to Chris and gave him a big hug. "With tears in her eyes, she said, 'thank you.'" Chris remembers, “and that is what it is all about.”
In addition, Chris has helped to organize many fundraising efforts such as our Annual Comedy Night and golf tournaments. He is Vice President, Customer Retention at Grand Circle Corporation where he has worked for fourteen years.
What service project volunteer opportunities can I pursue?
- Anyone can volunteer to help. You will get assignments and training that fit with your experience and capabilities. From skilled trades people - carpenters, plumbers, electricians, roofers, and others – to the “weekend warriors” who love to work with their hands to energetic novices - all are welcome to join us and get the immense satisfaction of pitching in to preserve and protect our communities. To volunteer visit: www.rebuildingtogetherboston.org
The Patriots Charitable Foundation is proud to work in conjunction with Rebuilding Together Boston for "Service Projects Volunteerism Week"
Rebuilding Together® Boston (RTB) is the Boston affiliate of Rebuilding Together, a national organization that renovates houses of people unable to pay for essential home repairs and much-needed updates. Non-profit organizations that own their own facilities are also eligible for RTB’s assistance. There is no cost to the recipients. RTB organizes and collaborates with skilled workers, trades people, volunteers, and other community members and non-profit organizations to meet the pressing needs of our communities through:
- preserving affordable housing
- stabilizing neighborhoods
- providing safety, security and independence to our clients
- reducing the risk of homelessness
RTB recipients own their home or facility, but they can not afford to pay for critical repairs due to many factors beyond their control. These include rising property taxes; fixed incomes that have not keep pace with the cost of living; and loss of income or financial hardship resulting from medical emergencies or advancing age. For more information visit: www.rtboston.org