The Patriots Celebrate Volunteerism
This Week we Celebrate Service Projects Volunteerism!
For the week of Sept. 9, the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation will work in cooperation with Plumley Village. How do service project volunteers make an impact?
Patriots team with UnitedHealthcare, The Community Builders, Inc. and Kaboom! to build playground at Plumley Village in Worcester
- Volunteering for service projects is a great tangible way to help others and show kindness.
- Service projects can be a great teambuilding activity for your friends, family or co-workers.
- Every person has great talents and abilities and using your abilities to help others would make a great positive impact on your neighborhood and city!
- It's fun to take on a project and accomplish it with others.
- Spending time and getting to know the people you are serving is a great way to make new friends
New England Patriots players joined Patriots players and more than 200 volunteers from UnitedHealthcare, the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation, The Community Builders, Inc., organizers from KaBOOM! and residents of the Worcester community on Tuesday, Sept. 11 to build a new playground at Plumley Village. The new playground’s design is based on drawings created by children who participated in a Design Day event in July. The Worcester playground will be the eighth built by KaBOOM! and UnitedHealthcare as part of the latter’s “Do Good. Live Well.” initiative – a campaign to inspire service and volunteerism among the company’s employees. This Worcester project represents one of more than 150 playground builds KaBOOM! will lead across the country in 2012 in an effort to provide a great place to play within walking distance of every child in America. Congratulations to this week's "Patriots Difference Maker" – Xavier Robles Xavier RoblesVolunteer, Plumley Village
Xavier Robles, age 15, is a committed and passionate resident who volunteers at Plumley Village, a nonprofit which aims to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes achieve their full potential. Xavier is an incredibly positive person and role model to the younger youth and is thoughtful, hard-working. Xavier helped in the planning of a community garden. He has also completed soil testing for the Plumley Village playground that was constructed on Sept. 11, 1012 in cooperation with UnitedHealthcare, the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation, more than 10 Patriots players, The Community Builders, Inc. and organizers from KaBOOM! Xavier is also a self-taught D.J. who volunteers his time to provide music for a number of events. What service project volunteer opportunities can I pursue?
Plumley village has several opportunities to volunteer including those listed below. Visit their website to learn more about how to get started!
The Patriots Charitable Foundation is proud to work in conjunction with the Plumley Village for "Service Project Volunteerism Week"
- Homework Tutors
- Teachers (ESOL, GED, Martial arts and other exercise)
- Babysitters (while adults are in classes)
- Tax Preparers
The mission of The Community Builders (TCB) is to build and sustain strong communities where people of all incomes can achieve their full potential. TCB understands the importance of volunteerism and community participation and that is why Community Engagement is a core focus area for the numerous opportunities that are available at Plumley Village. Resident-led activities are supported and encouraged. Community Engagement:
Plumley Village Fast Facts:
- Focuses on what members of the community can do to support each other
- Identifies the many talents, skills and resources that residents can share with one another
- Understands and appreciates the strengths of diversity
- Over 600 of the 1225 residents are under 18 years old
- 75% of residents identify as Latino, 20% are African American
- 100% of families are considered low-income
- Plumley Village offers numerous opportunities for residents to reach their goals and aspirations
To view the 2011 Celebrate Volunteerism campaign, click here.