Coming to an upcoming Patriots game? Participate in the upcoming FOOD COLLECTION at the Patriots versus Chiefs game on 11/21 and TOY COLLECTION at the Patriots versus Colts game on 12/4. Click here to learn more.
This Week We Celebrate Veteran and Military Volunteerism!
The Patriots Charitable Foundation will work in cooperation with organizations that support community outreach for veterans and members of the armed services. Organizations include Raytheon Company, a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense and homeland security; Carepacks, a nonprofit committed to sending care packages to troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.
How do veteran and military volunteers make an impact?Raytheon Company
- Raytheon believes in its responsibility to give back to our nation's servicemen and women; we value the commitment that they demonstrate every day to protect our country.
- As part of the company's armed services support program, Raytheon commits resources toward veteran employment programs; volunteerism and giving among employees; and sponsorship of key programs.
- Whether it's volunteering in a Veterans Affairs Hospital, supporting families of deployed soldiers, or preparing packages for the troops, Raytheon volunteers selflessly give of their time to show appreciation for our heroes - and the satisfaction of reaching out is immeasurable.
- The freedoms we all enjoy are dependent on the service of our military members.
- Our CarePacks provide our troops with everyday items we take for granted.
- Our service members and their families make numerous sacrifices for what we all enjoy.
- Less than two percent of the US population serve in our military. Their dedication to country should not go unrecognized.
- The support we show them, during deployment, raises their morale greatly and assures them they are not forgotten, thousands of miles from home. This morale booster is also evident to their loved ones at home and assures them their soldier is doing as well as can be expected.
Congratulations to this week's "Patriots Difference Maker" - Guy Mawhinney
Guy Mawhinney,Volunteer, Raytheon Company
Guy, a Raytheon employee, volunteers at Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital in Bedford, Mass. He coordinates volunteer activities for Raytheon employees at the hospital. Guy is a light of hope for many of the veterans at the hospital and goes out of his way to bring a smile to the hospitalized veterans. He organizes visits to the hospital and coordinates interactive events including casino days, auctions, Christmas parties and special visits from area celebrities. He also continues to organize activities for veterans outside of the hospital. Though his volunteerism he has learned how many of the veterans have had to endure physically and mentally through the years. He enjoys spending time with WWII veterans and hearing stories about their life and experiences serving their country. "It is inspiring to see the veterans and Raytheon volunteers having a good time together," said Mawhinney. "We like to have events where everyone can enjoy themselves, including the volunteers. My most memorable experience was the first time with the veterans, we walked through the [the Raytheon facility} and Raytheon employees lined the aisles, cheering, shaking hands and hugging our vets. One veteran told me that was the best day of his life. There was not a dry eye in the house."
What veteran and military volunteer opportunities can I pursue?
- Contact your local veterans' hospital and ask what you can do. Take the initiative to plan a fun afternoon, which can make a big difference in their lives.
- Soliciting donations of product from Carepacks' wishlist
- Sorting and organizing at the Carepacks' warehouse
- Participating in packing and shipping events for soldiers
- To learn about more opportunities to volunteer with Carepacks visit www.carepacks.org
The Patriots Charitable Foundation is proud to work in conjunction with Raytheon Company and Carepacks for "Veterans and Military Volunteerism Week"
Raytheon, with 2010 sales of $25 billion, is a technology and innovation leader specializing in defense, homeland security and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning 89 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; and command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services. With headquarters in Waltham, Mass., Raytheon employs 72,000 people worldwide. For more about Raytheon, visit us at www.raytheon.com
and follow us on Twitter at @raytheon. Raytheon is committed to its employees and its communities. The company takes a strategic approach to community outreach by focusing on three key areas: math and science education, armed services support and local communities, which includes employee volunteering, charitable giving and contributions. Carepacks
Founded in 2004 as a Holiday Project, CarePacks
shipped out 83 packages to local military as a one-time event. Multiple letters were placed in every package that went out and after the packages were received for the Christmas season CarePacks received 76 letters of thanks. This November we will celebrate seven years and over 13,000 packages shipped to our military. Our packages have greatly improved over the years as a result of feedback from returning soldiers and as a result of special requests from deployed troops. We have supported Combat Hospitals, supplied school items, toys and clothing for Iraqi & Afghan children, and on one occasion supplied electric and gas leaf blowers. To our surprise these were used to remove sand from vehicle & helicopter engines being serviced in the motor pool. We have also visited with the Wounded Warriors @ National Naval and Walter Reed in MD. On our last visit we were delighted to bring 60 of them and their family members from both hospitals to an Orioles/Red Sox game. They were delighted.