NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (3-1) vs. NEW YORK JETS (2-2)
Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 4:15 p.m. ET
Gillette Stadium (68,756)
Download Game Release PDF >>
Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 4:15 p.m. ET
Gillette Stadium (68,756)
Download Game Release PDF >>
After opening the season with three of their first four games on the road for the first time in eight years, the Patriots return to Gillette Stadium - where they own the NFL's best home record - for three of their next four games. The Last time the Patriots opened the season by playing three of their first four games on the road was in 2003 when they started the year 2-2 before finishing with a 14-2 record.
Since their state-of-the-art facility opened at the beginning of the 2002 season, the Patriots own the NFL's best record at home overall with a 68-14 record.
The Patriots own a 49-15 (.766) record in regular season AFC East games since the beginning of the 2001 season, compiling the best intra-division record of any team in the NFL.
PATRIOTS THROWBACK GAME
The Patriots will wear throwback uniforms that replicate the ones worn by the 1985 team this week. The Patriots wore throwback uniforms two times in 2010, beating Minnesota at home, 28-14, on October 31 and in a 45-24 win at Detroit on Thanksgiving on Nov. 25. The Patriots will wear red jerseys with white pants and a white helmet featuring the =Pat Patriot' logo with white facemasks. The Patriots are 7-3 in throwback uniforms.
TELEVISION: This week's game will be broadcast to a national audience by CBS and can be seen in Boston on WBZ-TV Channel 4. Jim Nantz will handle play-byplay duties with Phil Simms providing color. The game will be produced by Lance Barrow and directed by Mike Arnold.
NATIONAL RADIO: This week's game will be broadcast to a national audience by the Sports USA Radio Network. Larry Kahn and Doug Plank will call the game. Troy West will serve as the sideline reporter.
RADIO: 98.5 FM, The Sports Hub, is the flagship station for the Patriots Radio Network. A complete listing of the network's 37 stations can be found here. Play-by-play broadcaster Gil Santos is in his 35th season as the voice of the Patriots and will call the action along with Patriots Hall of Famer Gino Cappelletti. Former Patriots quarterback Scott Zolak will provide sideline analysis.
PATRIOTS WICKED GOOD IN OCTOBER
The Patriots are 30-5 in the month of October since the 2003 season and have won 21 out of their last 23 October games. The Patriots are 16-1 at home and 14-4 on the road during that time in October. New England was 4-0 in 2010 in October.
The Patriots and Jets will meet for the 105th time, including three postseason games, since the series between the AFC East rivals began in 1960. The teams met three times last season, splitting the regular season series before the Jets gained a victory in the NFL playoffs. The Jets took the lead in the series 51-50-1 following a 28-14 win in Week 2 on Sept. 19 of the 2010 season at the New Meadowlands Stadium. The Patriots evened the series with a 45-3 victory in the rematch in Week 13 on Dec. 6 in a Monday Night Football game at Gillette Stadium. The Jets beat the Patriots 28-21 in an AFC Divisional Playoff game at Gillette stadium.
The teams split the season series in each of the last three seasons.
The Patriots are 7-4 against the Jets all-time at Gillette Stadium. The teams have played in the postseason three times, a 1985 Wild Card game, a 2006 Wild Card game and last season's AFC Divisional game. New England beat the Jets, 26-14 in 1985 at the Meadowlands on their way to Super Bowl XX. In 2006, the Patriots defeated the Jets, 37-16, at Gillette Stadium. New England is 22-14 against the Jets since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994. New England's 51 victories over the Jets (including two playoff wins) are the second most over any single opponent, trailing only Buffalo with 61 all-time wins.
NEW YORK 52, NEW ENGLAND 51, 1 Tie
(Including New England 2, New York 1 in Playoffs)
Home Record, 27-25-1 (incl. 1-1 in playoffs)
- Record in Foxborough, 23-19
- Gillette Stadium, 7-4
- Foxboro Stadium, 16-15
Record in Boston, 4-5-1
Record in Birmingham, Alabama, 0-1
Away Record, 24-27 (incl. 1-0 in playoffs)
- New Meadowlands Stadium, 0-1
- Giants Stadium, 17-10 (incl. 1-0 playoffs)
- Shea Stadium, 5-14
- Polo Grounds, 2-2
Seasonal Sweeps, Jets 14 (most recent '00), Patriots 13 ('07)
Bill Belichick vs. N.Y. Jets, 15-9 (14-8 with New England)
New England Ties
- Jets OL Vladimir Ducasse was an All-American lineman at UMass from 2006-09, while Patriots S
James Ihedigbowas also an All-American for the UMass football team from 2003- 06.
- Jets DE Mike DeVito is a native of Wellfleet, Mass. and played college football at Maine from 2003-06.
- Jets TE Matthew Mulligan played two years at the University of Maine after transferring from Husson College in Bangor, Maine.
- Jets Head Strength & Conditioning Coach Bill Hughan was served as an assistant coach at Yale University in New Haven, Conn. from 1997-98.
- Jets QB Kevin O'Connell was selected by the Patriots in the 2008 NFL Draft 94th overall (third pick). He was with the Patriots for the 2008 season and was released in August of 2009. This is O'Connell's second stint with the Jets.
- Jets Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh began his NFL playing career as a quarterback with the Patriots from 1978- 82.
- Jets Wide Receivers Coach Henry Ellard spent part of the 1998 season playing for the Patriots. Former Jets
- Patriots Defensive Line Coach Pepper Johnson played two seasons with the Jets (1997-98).
- Patriots RB
Danny Woodheadwas a member of the Jets in 2008 and through the first week of the 2010 season. Woodhead was released by the Jets on Sept. 14 and signed by the Patriots four days later.
- Patriots DE
Shaun Ellisplayed for the Jets for ten seasons from 2000-10.
- Patriots S James Ihedigbo played for the Jets from 2007-10.
New York Ties
- Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick spent the 1997-1999 seasons as asst. head coach/secondary for the Jets before moving to New England for the 2000 season. The 1998 Jets became AFC East Champions under Belichick's guidance.
- Patriots CB
Devin McCourtygrew up 21 miles east of MetLife Stadium in Montvale, N.J.
- Patriots Safeties Coach Matt Patricia was born in Sherrill, N.Y.
Former NFL Teammates
- Jets QB and 19 year veteran Mark Brunell has been NFL teammates with a few current Patriots. Brunell and Patriots LB
Rob Ninkovichwere teammates while playing in New Orleans for the Saints in 2008. Brunell was teammates with Patriots DE Andre Carterwhile playing for the Washington Redskins from 2006-07.
- Patriots LB
Tracy Whiteand Jets T Wayne Hunter both played for the Seattle Seahawks from 2003-04. Hunter was also teammates on the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2006 with Patriots G Dan Connolly.
- Patriots DL
Albert Haynesworthand Jets WR Derrick Mason were teammates when they played for the Tennessee Titans from 2002-04.
- Patriots WR
Wes Welkerand Jets RB LaDainian Tomlinson were teammates in the spring of 2004 when Welker was on the San Diego Chargers.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN 2011
- The Patriots own an overall record of 61-12 (.836) at Gillette Stadium in regular season games. Since their state-of-the-art facility opened at the beginning of the 2002 season, the Patriots own the NFL's best record at home.
- The Patriots lead the NFL with a 110 turnover margin since the 1994 season, including a league-leading and franchise record 28 in 2010. Kansas City is second with a 99 turnover margin.
- The Patriots currently have 135 points and are on pace to finish with 540 points, which would be second in team history and fourth all-time in NFL history. The 2007 Patriots have the record with 587.
- The Patriots are averaging 33.7 points per game in 2011. That number would be second all-time in team history. In 2007, the Patriots averaged 36.8 points per game.
- The Patriots have scored 30 or more points in 12 straight games. The NFL record 14 by St. Louis (1999-2000).
RECORD SETTING PACE
QUALIFIER - A quarter of the way through the season, a number of Patriots players are on pace for record-breaking seasons. While we know these won't be realistic projections, it is fun to look at what the numbers would be if they continued at this pace.
Tom Brady(1,553) is on pace to throw for 6,212 yards. Only two NFL players have thrown for 5,000 or more yards in a season with Dan Marino's NFL record 5,804 in 1984 and Drew Brees' 5,069 in 2008.
- Brady has 13 touchdowns, putting him on pace for 52 touchdown passes, which would break the NFL record of 50 that he had in 2007.
- Brady currently has an NFL record of 29 straight wins as a starter in the regular season at home. The last time the Patriots lost a regular season home game which Brady started was on Nov. 12, 2006 against the New York Jets.
- Brady has a current streak of 20 straight games with at least one touchdown pass, a Patriots team record. Brady has thrown two or more touchdowns in 13 straight games to tie an NFL record with Peyton Manning.
Julian Edelmanhas the highest punt return average in Patriots history with a 13.6-yard average (36-489).
Rob Gronkowskihas five touchdowns so far in 2011, putting him on pace for 20 for the year.The NFL record for most touchdowns in a season by a tight end is 13 by Vernon Davis (SF) in 2009 and Antonio Gates (SD) in 2004. Gronkowski last season set the franchise record for touchdowns by a rookie tight end with 10.
- Gronkowski has 15 touchdown catches in 20 career NFL games.
- Wes Welker has 40 receptions through four weeks and is on pace for 160, which would break Marvin Harrison's single season record of 143, set in 2002. Welker has 616 receiving yards and is on pace for 2,464, which would break Jerry Rice's record of 1,848 set in 1995.
- Wes Welker had a career-high 217 receiving yards to set a franchise record (09/25/11), breaking the previous record set by Terry Glenn with 214 receiving yards.
- Welker has a streak of 65 straight regular season games with at least one reception as a member of the Patriots to set a franchise record. TE Ben Coates held the previous mark with 63 straight games.
- Welker has caught at least one pass in 82 straight regular season games in his NFL career.
Vince Wilforkhas two interceptions so far in 2011 and is one of four Patriots defensive lineman to ever register two career interceptions. Anthony Pleasant (2001) is the only other Patriots defensive lineman to record two interceptions in a single season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
BY THE NUMBERS
The number of games where the Patriots had three players with seven or more receptions: at Miami (9/12) and vs. San Diego (9/18).
The number of 2011 draft picks that were in the opening day starting lineup after T
The number of turnovers the Patriots forced in the 35-21 win against San Diego. It was the second straight season that the Patriots had four turnovers against the Chargers.
The number of touchdown catches by TE Rob Gronkowski in 2011. He has 15 career touchdown passes in 20 NFL games.
The number of receptions that Wes Welker is averaging during his Patriots career with 472 receptions in 65 games, best in franchise history.
The average yards per carry by Danny Woodhead during his Patriots career (123 att. for 662 yards), the best average among any Patriots player with at least 100 rushing attempts.
The number of career 100-yard receiving games by
The number of consecutive games that the Patriots have scored 30 or more points, dating back to last season. That active streak is a franchise record.
The number of 10-tackle games by LB
The number of career rushing touchdowns by BenJarvus Green- Ellis. He is the 10th player in Patriots history to record 20 or more touchdowns. His 20 rushing touchdowns are tied for 9th in team history.
The number of yards that Vince Wilfork returned his first career interception vs. San Diego (9/18) to help set up a field goal.
The number of total yards by the Patriots in the win at Miami in the season opener, a franchise record. The previous best was 619 yards vs. Tennessee (10/18/09).
TOM BRADY BY THE NUMBERS
The number of NFL quarterbacks that followed a 500-yard performance with a 400-yard performance after Brady had backto- back games with 517 yards and 423 yards.
The number of times that Brady has finished a season with 25 or more touchdowns. He is the sixth QB in NFL history to have 25 or more touchdown passes in at least six different seasons.
The number of times Tom Brady has passed for 3,000 or more yards in a season, a franchise record for most 3,000-yard seasons. He finished the season with 3,900 yards.
The number of times an NFL quarterback has thrown for 500 or more yards after Brady threw for 517 in the 2011 opener at Miami.
The number of times Tom Brady has earned AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors. He earned the award in each of the first two weeks of the 2011 season.
The number of NFL quarterbacks that have reached 35,000 yards after Brady (35,487) reached the milestone at Miami.
The number of consecutive regular-season starts that Tom Brady has won at Gillette Stadium, extending an NFL record for most consecutive home wins by a starting quarterback in the regular season.
The number of touchdown passes thrown by Brady in 2010 to lead the NFL. He is one of just 13 players since the 1970 merger to have at least two 30 touchdown seasons. He set an NFL record with 50 in 2007.
The number of regular season 300-yard passing games by Tom Brady, a team record. He is tied with Drew Bledsoe for 9th place for the most 300-yard games in NFL history.
The number of times that Brady has thrown two or more touchdowns in a game. The Patriots are 73-13 when he throws for two or more touchdowns.
The number of wins that Brady has as a starting quarterback. He reached the 100-win milestone in the fewest number of starts (131) among all quarterbacks in the modern era.
The number of passing yards Brady had in the first three games (517, 423 and 387). Brady's 1,327 yards set the NFL mark for the most passing yards ever in a three-game streatch.
THE KRAFT ERA
The number of Super Bowl championships the Patriots have won since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994. That mark is the highest total in the NFL over that span. Only Denver (2; 1997 and 1998) and Pittsburgh (2; 2005 and 2008) have won multiple Super Bowl titles since 1994.
The number of conference championships the Patriots have won since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994. That mark is the highest total in the NFL over that span. Pittsburgh is second with three conference titles since 1994.
The number of division championships won by the Patriots since Kraft purchased the team in 1994.
The number of playoff seasons earned by the Patriots in the 17 seasons since Robert Kraft purchased the team.
The number of playoff games the Patriots have won since Robert Kraft purchased the team in 1994. That mark is the highest total in the NFL over that span. Pittsburgh ranks second with 15 playoff wins over that span.
The number of playoff games the Patriots have appeared in since 1994. The mark is tied with Pittsburgh for the most playoff games during that time period.
THE BELICHICK ERA
Bill Belichick is one of just four coaches to win three championships since the Super Bowl era began. Belichick joins three members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the exclusive club (Chuck Noll 4, Joe Gibbs 3 and Bill Walsh 3). Belichick is the only coach to win three Super Bowls in the post-1993 salary cap era and the only one to ever win three in four years.
Bill Belichick has 180 career victories as a head coach, including playoff games. Belichick is in sole possession of 10th place in alltime coaching victories.
PATRIOTS DEDICATE 2011 SEASON TO MYRA KRAFT
The New England Patriots announced that they will dedicate the 2011 season to the loving memory of Myra Kraft, who passed away on July 20 after a courageous battle with cancer. Every Patriots player and coach will honor Myra's memory by wearing a patch with her initials on it in recognition of her lifelong contributions to the local and global community and her influence on the charitable mission of the entire Patriots organization. The patch will be worn on the left chest of every player throughout the season.