Adam Butler was signed by the New England Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 5, 2017.
2017 (16/6, 3/0)
- Made his NFL debut at defensive tackle and made his first career tackle vs. Kansas City (9/7).
- Made his first career start at defensive tackle in the win at New Orleans (9/17).
- Made his second-straight start at defensive tackle and totaled three tackles in the victory vs. Houston (9/24).
- Made his third-straight start at defensive tackle while also contributing on special teams vs. Carolina (10/1).
- Made the start at defensive tackle and contributed with two total tackles in the victory at Tampa Bay (10/5).
- Contributed as a reserve defensive tackle with one tackle in the win at N.Y. Jets (10/15).
- Appeared in a reserve role along the defensive line and contributed with three total tackles, including a tackle for loss, while also adding the first sack of his career for a 10-yard loss on a second quarter takedown of QB Matt Ryan in the victory vs. Atlanta (10/22).
- Returned to starting duties on the defensive line and contributed with two tackles in the victory vs. L.A.Chargers (10/29).
- Started at defensive tackle and finished with two total tackles in the victory at Denver (11/12).
- Contributed along the defensive line in the victory at Oakland (11/19) in Mexico City's Estadio Azteca.
- Contributed along the defensive line as well as on special teams in the victory vs. Miami (11/26).
- Contributed in a reserve role on the defensive line and finished with two tackles total in the win at Buffalo (12/3).
- Appeared in a reserve role on the defensive line and finished with two tackles and a sack of QB Jay Cutler for a 10-yard loss at Miami (12/11).
- Played sparingly in a reserve role along the defensive line and did not accrue any statistics in the win at Pittsburgh (12/17).
- Saw time as a reserve defensive lineman but did not accrue any statistics in the win vs. Buffalo (12/24).
- Contributed on defense as a reserve defensive lineman and also on special teams in the win vs. N.Y. Jets (12/31).
- Contributed as a reserve defensive lineman and made one tackle and notched his first-career postseason sack for a 5-yard loss of QB Marcus Mariota in the Divisional round victory vs. Tennessee (1/13).
- Appeared as a reserve defensive lineman and made one tackle and his second sack of the postseason when he dropped QB Blake Bortles for a 6-yard loss in the second quarter of the AFC Championship victory vs. Jacksonville (1/21).
- Appeared as a reserve defensive lineman and made one tackle in Super Bowl LII vs. Philadelphia (2/4).
- Played in 49 games with 36 starts and registered 109 tackles, 9.5 sacks, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and five passes defensed.
- Also blocked two extra points while playing special teams.
- Led the Commodore defense with four sacks as a senior in 2016.
- Began collegiate career as an offensive lineman before switching to defensive tackle as a redshirt freshman in 2013.
- Was a two-time first team 5A All-District selection and two-time captain as a junior and senior at Duncanville (Texas) High School.
- Earned team MVP honors as a senior.
- Also earned letters as a thrower in track & field.
- Majored in earth and environmental sciences at Vanderbilt.
- Descendant of Texas children's rights campaigner Edna Gladney, subject of the 1940's film "Blossoms in the Dust".