James O'Shaughnessy was acquired by the New England Patriots along with a 2017 sixth-round draft selection (216th overall) from Kansas City in a trade in exchange for a 2017 fifth-round draft selection (183rd overall) on April 29, 2017 ... Originally drafted by Kansas City in the fifth round (173rd overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft.
2016 (16/3, 1/0 - Kansas City)
- Played in all 16 regular-season games with three starts and caught two passes for -1 yards.
- Appeared as a reserve in the Divisional Playoff loss vs. Pittsburgh (1/15).
- Competed mainly on special teams where he tied Cincinnati's Tyler Kroft for most special teams tackles by a tight end with seven.
2015 (7/3, 0/0 - Kansas City)
- Appeared in seven regular-season contests with three starts before suffering a season-ending injury midseason. Totaled six receptions for 87 yards.
- Was inactive for two games before being placed on Injured Reserve on Nov. 17, 2015.
- Played in 49 games with 37 starts at Illinois State and recorded 67 receptions for 1,170 yards and 14 touchdowns.
- Earned All-Missouri Valley Football Conference Second Team honors as a senior after totaling 29 receptions for 544 yards and nine scores.
- Redshirted as a freshman in 2010.
- Was a three-year letterwinner at Naperville North High School.
- Was a special mention all-conference and all-area selection and academic all-conference selection as a senior.
- Father, Jim, played basketball at DePaul and mother, Sally, ran track at Drake.