Jonathan Freeny was signed by the New England Patriots as a free agent on March 11, 2015 ... Originally signed by Miami as a rookie free agent (7/28/11) ... Released by Miami (9/3/11) ... Signed by Miami to the practice squad (12/7/11) ... Released by Miami (9/1/12) ... Signed by Miami to the practice squad (9/2/12) ... Signed by Miami to the 53-man roster from the practice squad (9/8/12).
2015 (13/7, 2/0)
- Played in 13 regular - season games with seven starts and registered 43 tackles, one sack, one pass breakup, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and two special teams tackles.
- Appeared in both playoff games as a reserve and made three tackles and recovered one fumble.
- Was inactive for the final three regular-season games due to injury.
- Made his first NFL start and recorded a career-high tying eight tackles in the win at Indianapolis (10/18).
- Started at linebacker and posted three tackles vs. Washington (11/8). Also recovered an onside kick and forced a fumble.
- Started at linebacker and recorded a career-high tying eight tackles and one pass defensed in the win at N.Y. Giants (11/15).
- Started at linebacker and recorded seven tackles and his first NFL sack when he brought down Brock Osweiler for a 13-yard loss at Denver (11/29).
- Contributed on defense and special teams before leaving the game with a hand injury in the second quarter of the win at Houston (12/13).
- Made his postseason debut when he returned to action after missing three games due to injury and recorded three tackles in the Divisional Playoff victory vs. Kansas City (1/16).
- Saw action at linebacker in the AFC Championship Game at Denver (1/24) and recovered a fumble that led to a Patriots touchdown in the first quarter.
2014 (12/0 – Miami)
- Played in 12 games as a reserve linebacker and on special teams and finished with five tackles and one sack on defense and 10 special teams tackles.
- Posted a season-high three tackles on defense at Jacksonville (10/26).
2013 (16/0 – Miami)
- Played all 16 games and posted three tackles on defense and ranked second on the team with 10 special team tackles.
2012 (16/0 – Miami)
- Played in all 16 games and recorded seven tackles and tied for second on team with seven special teams tackles.
- Made NFL debut at Houston (9/9).
- Registered a career high five tackles at New England (12/30).
2011 (0/0 – Miami)
- Released by Miami at the end of training camp and spent part of the season on the Dolphins practice squad.
- Four-year letterman (2007-10) and two-year starter at Rutgers. Played in 46 games with 13 starts and finished career with 93 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 11 sacks, one forced fumble, four fumble recoveries and an interception.
- Started all 12 games at defensive end as a senior in 2010 and recorded 38 tackles and tied for team lead with three fumble recoveries.
- Registered 33 tackles as a junior in 2009. Was recipient of the Most Improved Scholar Award
- Led the team with 9½ sacks and tied for second with 12 tackles for loss.
- Played in all 13 games as a sophomore in 2008 and registered 19 tackles. Started first career game in PapaJohns.com Bowl against N.C. State.
- Played in eight games as a true freshman in 2007 and closed out freshman year with three tackles and five quarterback hurries.
- Jonathan Freeny is a distant relative of former Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers and Arizona Cardinals defensive end/linebacker Dwight Freeney.
- Born June 15, 1989.
- Attended Coconut Creek (Fla.) High School where he was named first-team All-Broward selection as a senior by the Miami Herald.
- Starred at both linebacker as well as defensive end.
- Distant relative of defensive end Dwight Freeney.