Malcolm Butler was signed by the New England Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 19, 2014.
- Started at cornerback and totaled four solo tackles in the matchup vs. Kansas City (9/7).
- Totaled two tackles and a pass defensed after subbing as a defensive back in the nickel defense in the win at New Orleans (9/17).
- Returned to starting duties at cornerback and contributed with three total tackles in the victory vs. Houston (9/24).
- Started at cornerback and lead the team in tackles with eight total while adding a pass defensed and a first quarter interception of QB Cam Newton that led to the Patriots first touchdown drive vs. Carolina (10/1).
- Started at cornerback and totaled four tackles and a pass defensed in the victory at Tampa Bay (10/5).
- Started at cornerback and was a key contributor with four tackles, three passes defensed and an interception late in the second quarter that led to a Patriots touchdown to tie the game going into halftime in the victory at N.Y. Jets (10/15). Also forced a fumble of TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins as he was going into the end zone for a fourth-quarter score which caused the fumble out of bounds to be ruled a touchback and returned possesion to the Patriots.
- Contributed with six tackles and a pass defensed in a starting role at cornerback in the win vs. Atlanta (10/22). The pass defensed came on a third-and-1 pass breakup of a Julio Jones fourth quarter target in the end zone which led to a fourth-down stop on the ensuing play for the Patriots.
- Made the start at cornerback and finished with one tackle in the victory vs. L.A. Chargers (10/29)
2016 (16/16, 3/3)
- Named to the AP All-Pro Second Team.
- Started all 16 regular-season games and recorded 63 tackles, one sack, and notched career-high four interceptions and 17 passes defensed. Also forced one fumble and recovered two others.
- Started all three postseason contests and posted 11 tackles and one pass defensed.
- Led the team with eight tackles and one pass defensed in the win vs. Miami (9/18).
- Picked off QB Landry Jones in the end zone during the first quarter to end a Steelers scoring threat in the win at Pittsburgh (10/23). Finished the game with six tackles and three passes defensed.
- Led the defense with nine total tackles vs. Seattle (11/13).
- Recorded his first ever NFL sack when he took down QB Colin Kaepernick at San Francisco (11/20). Added two tackles.
- Forced and recovered a fumble to mark the first forced fumble and fumble recovery of his NFL career in the win at N.Y. Jets (11/27) that led to a Patriots touchdown. Also added five total tackles.
- Picked off QB Jared Goff for 7 yards in the win vs. Los Angeles (12/4). Added one total tackle and three passes defensed.
- Had his first career two-interception game in the win vs. N.Y. Jets (12/24) when he picked off QB Bryce Petty on third-and-11 in the first quarter and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick for a 21-yard gain at the end of the third stanza. Had three total takeaways in the game after adding a fumble recovery in the second quarter to mark the first time that a Patriots player has had three takeaways in the same game since Steve Gregory had three (one interception and two fumble recoveries at N.Y. Jets Nov. 22, 2012).
- H Recorded four tackles and a pass defensed in the AFC Championship win vs. Pittsburgh (1/22).
2015 (15/15, 2/2)
- Earned his first career Pro Bowl invitation.
- Started all 16 regular-season contests and recorded 72 tackles, two interceptions and 15 passes defensed.
- Started both playoff games and posted 12 tackles and three passes defensed.
- Recorded his first career regular-season interception off a Tyrod Taylor pass in the win at Buffalo (9/20). Also added six tackles and one pass defensed.
- Recorded a single-game career-high nine tackles and two passes defensed in the win at Indianapolis (10/18).
- Recorded two solo tackles and three pass breakups in the win at N.Y. Giants (11/15). Bulter's three pass breakups came against Odell Beckham Jr., who Bulter held to four receptions on 12 targets.
- Recorded seven tackles, an interception and one pass defensed in the win vs. Tennessee (12/20).
- Made his first postseason start and recorded five tackles and one pass defensed in the playoff victory vs. Kansas City (1/16).
- Recorded a career playoff-high seven tackles and two passes defensed in the AFC Championship Game at Denver (1/24).
2014 (11/1, 3/3)
- Sealed the Patriots' 28-24 Super Bowl XLIX win vs. Seattle (2/1/15) by intercepting Russell Wilson's pass intended for Ricardo Lockette in the end zone with 26 seconds left to play. He undercut a slant route, picked off the pass and returned it to the two-yard line. After an encroachment penalty on Seattle, Tom Brady kneeled twice to claim the win in Super Bowl XLIX. It was his first career NFL interception. Two plays before the interception, Butler swatted a deep pass intended for Jermaine Kearse, but Kearse was able to gather the tipped ball before Butler pushed him out of bounds at the five-yard line. Butler led the team with a game-high three passes defensed in just 18 defensive snaps. Also posted three tackles.
- Recorded his first career postseason tackle in the AFC Championship win vs. Indianapolis (1/18/15).
- Made his postseason debut in the AFC Divisional win vs. Baltimore (1/10/15).
- Posted four tackles and one special teams stop vs. Buffalo (12/28).
- Made his first NFL start at defensive back in the win vs. Miami (12/14), finishing with two tackles.
- Saw significant playing time as a fourth cornerback in the win vs. Denver (11/2), finishing with four tackles and a pass defensed on a Peyton Manning throw intended for Emmanuel Sanders in the fourth quarter.
- Played as a reserve cornerback and on special teams in the win vs. Chicago (10/26), posting two passes defensed.
- Active, but did not play at Buffalo (10/12).
- Inactive vs. Cincinnati (10/5), vs. N.Y. Jets (10/16), vs. Detroit (11/23) and at Green Bay (11/30).
- Made the team as an undrafted rookie free agent.
- Played around half of all defensive snaps as the third corner at Kansas City (9/29), posting one tackle.
- Played on special teams in the win vs. Oakland (9/21).
- Came in on defense late in the game and posted his first career pass defensed at Minnesota (9/14).
- In his NFL debut at Miami (9/7), saw action on special teams and at cornerback and recorded two tackles.
- Played two seasons at West Alabama after transferring from Hinds (Miss.) Community College. Was a two-time first team All-GSC selection at cornerback as a junior and senior.
- Played in 25 games at West Alabama and compiled 94 tackles, seven interceptions, 27 passes defensed and blocked a field goal. Also returned kickoffs and punts.
- Led the GSC with 18 passes defensed as a senior.
- Intercepted three passes in a game against West Georgia as a junior.
HONORS & AWARDS
- 2016 - Associated Press All-Pro: Second Team
- 2015 - NFL Pro Bowl
- Butler was nicknamed "Strap" by teammate Jamie Collins, alluding to his ability to so closely cover receivers on the field, but in 2015, some teammates started calling him "Scrap" for his scrappy style of play.
- Born March 2, 1990, in Vicksburg, Miss.
- Son of Deborah Butler and is one of five children.
- Majored in physical education at West Alabama.