Riley McCarron was signed by the New England Patriots to the practice squad as a free agent on Sept. 22, 2017 ... Originally signed by Houston as a rookie free agent (5/12/17) ... Released by Houston (9/2/17) ... Signed by Houston to the practice squad (9/3/17) ... Released by Houston (9/18/17).
- Went to training camp with Houston and began the year on the Texans practice squad before being released on Sept. 18.
- Joined the New England practice squad on Sept. 22.
- Played four seasons (2013-16) at the University of Iowa in Iowa City, Iowa after redshirting the 2012 campaign.
- Hauled in 50 passes for 584 yards and five touchdowns in 46 career games played.
- Also returned 19 punts for 179 yards and a touchdown and five kickoffs for 153 yards.
- Named Academic All-Big Ten for fourth year and earned honorable mention All-Big Ten by Big Ten coaches and media as a senior in 2016. Started 12 games while playing in all 13 and led the Hawkeyes in receiving with career-bests of 42 catches for 517 yards and four touchdowns. Averaged 21.1 yards on seven punt returns with one touchdown, and recorded one kickoff return for 54 yards.
- Saw action in all 14 games and made one start and tallied five receptions for 56 yards and one touchdown as a junior.
- Missed first three games of the season due to preseason injury and final three regular season games due to illness as a sophomore. Appeared in seven games as a reserve and on special teams but did not record any statistics.
- Saw action in 12 games, recording three receptions for 11 yards and eight yards on three punt returns as a redshirt freshman. Earned his first Academic All-Big Ten recognition.
- Redshirted the season after joining the team as a walk-on freshman in 2012
- Attended Wahlert Catholic High School in Dubuque, Iowa. Earned second-team all-state honors as a senior and was first team all-conference as sophomore, junior and senior.
- Holds school records for touchdowns in a game (six), points in a game (36), touchdown passes in a season(17) and career punt return yards (502).
- As a senior in 2011, completed 113-of-205 pass attempts for 1,749 yards and 17 touchdowns while rushing 112 times for 866 yards and five touchdowns.
- Recorded 45 tackles and five interceptions as a senior, while gaining 263 yards on eight punt returns.
- Also lettered in basketball, track and baseball.
- Was the state long jump champion as a sophomore and junior and won state title in 100-meter dash as a junior after placing second as a sophomore.