CAREER TRANSACTIONS Chris Jones
was claimed off waivers and awarded to the New England Patriots from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 11, 2013 … Originally drafted by Houston in the sixth round (198th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft … Released by Houston (8/31/13) … Claimed off waivers and awarded to Tampa Bay from Houston (9/1/13) … Released by Tampa Bay (9/10/13). SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (0/0 - Tampa Bay)
2013 (13/11, 2/2 – New England)
- Went to training camp with Houston after being drafted by the Texans in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
- Was released by Houston on Aug. 31 and claimed off waivers by Tampa Bay.
- Was inactive for Tampa Bay’s season opening game at N.Y. Jets on Sept. 8.
- Was released by Tampa Bay on Sept. 10.
- Appeared in 13 regular-season games with 11 starts after being claimed by New England off waivers from Tampa Bay on Sept. 11.
- Assumed starting role after Tommy Kelly went on injured reserve.
- Compiled 56 tackles and led all AFC rookies with six sacks.
- Started both playoff contests and posted seven tackles and his first career postseason sack.
- Was inactive vs. N.Y. Jets (9/12) and vs. Tampa Bay (9/22).
- Played in his first NFL game at Atlanta (9/29) and made one tackle.
- Compiled four tackles, including 1½ sacks for a combined 13 yards at Cincinnati (10/6), the first quarterback takedowns of his career.
- Registered his first NFL two-sack game at N.Y Jets (10/20) and posted nine tackles.
- Posted the first double-digit tackle game of his career with a 10-tackle effort vs. Denver (11/24).
- Started his first playoff game vs. Indianapolis (1/11) and posted four tackles including his first postseason sack.
- Played in 50 games, making 43 consecutive starts at Bowling Green.
- Was a three0time All-MAC performer with 157 career tackles, 28 sacks, six forced fumbles and five fumble recoveries.
- Was named a team captain in 2011 and 2012.
- Played and started all 13 games as a senior in 2012 and finished third in the nation with 12½ sacks.
- Was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2012.
- Played in 13 games with six starts as a true freshman in 2009.
- A 2009 graduate of Brownsburg (Ind.) High School.
- Earned all-state honors as a senior, recording seven sacks.
- Married to Angela.
- Born July 12, 1990 in Brownsburg, Ind.
- Chris Jones had an early introduction to failure in the NFL. Taken behind 37 other defensive linemen in the 2013 NFL Draft, he was cut by two teams over a span of just 11 days. After selecting him in the sixth round with the 198th overall pick, the Houston Texans cut Jones on Aug. 31. Jones signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 1 but lasted only 10 days, as the Buccaneers released him on Sept. 10. Rather than be deterred by these early disappointments, Jones maintained a positive outlook when he signed with the Patriots on Sept. 11, and it has paid off in a big way. Thrust into a starting role after key injuries to the defensive line, Jones finished his rookie season with six sacks. Jones’ sudden success may come as a surprise to some, but not to Dave Clawson, Jones’ college coach at Bowling Green. Jones was part of Clawson’s first recruiting class and blossomed into an All-American and two-two time captain for the Falcons.
“It’s hard to talk about Chris without getting a little bit emotional,” Clawson told The Boston Herald, “because he was that special of a player and person in our program.”