Gary Guyton was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent on May 2, 2008.Career Highlights
- In 2010, recorded his first two career interceptions and his first two career defensive touchdowns, returning one interception 59 yards for a touchdown vs. Cincinnati (9/12/10) and returning his first career fumble recovery 35 yards for a touchdown at Chicago (12/12/10).
2011 (13/6, 0/0)
- Appeared in 13 games with six starts, making 46 tackles.
- Was inactive for Super Bowl XLVI against the Giants (2/5), the AFC Championship against the Ravens (1/22), and the Divisional playoff game against the Broncos (1/14).
- Saw time in a reserve role against the Broncos (12/18), Dolphins (12/24) and Bills (1/1)..
- Was active but did not play against the Redskins (12/11).
- Made three tackles against the Colts (12/4).
- Made two tackles in a start against the Eagles (11/27).
- Started and made five tackles against the Chiefs (11/21).
- Was active but did not play against the Jets (11/13)
- Made five tackles in a reserve role against the Giants (11/6).
- Recorded his third career interception and set up the Patriots’ first points of the game when he picked off a Ben Roethlisberger pass and returned it 17 yards to the Pittsburgh eight-yard line. Added three tackles (10/30).
- Made nine tackles in a start against the Cowboys (10/16).
- Started at middle linebacker in place of the injured Jerod Mayo, making eight tackles against the Jets (10/9).
- Made four tackles in a reserve role and filled in for the injured Jerod Mayo midway through the game against the Raiders (10/2).
- Recorded three tackles against the Bills (9/25).
- Was inactive against the Chargers (9/18).
- Made three tackles, including one for a loss in a start against the Dolphins (9/12).
2009 (16/16, 1/1)
- Played in 16 games with eight starts and finished the season with 63 total tackles, a career-high 3.0 sacks, and recorded his first forced fumble and first fumble recovery- which he returned for a touchdown- as well as his first two interceptions- one of which he returned for a touchdown.
- Made two tackles in a start against the Jets (12/6).
- Picked up his second sack of the season on a fourthquarter, five-yard sack of Shaun Hill and made eight tackles in a start against the Lions (11/25).
- Started his second game of the season, tallying eight tackles against the Colts (11/21).
- Was credited with his first sack of the season, a 10- yard loss for the Steelers in the first quarter, as well as four tackles and a pass defensed (11/14).
- Made one tackle against the Browns (11/7).
- Played in a reserve role against Minnesota (10/31).
- Played as a backup linebacker and made seven tackles against the Chargers (10/24).
- Registered two tackles in a reserve role against Baltimore (10/17).
- Made four tackles and one special teams tackle against the Dolphins (10/4).
- Registered five tackles and a quarterback hit in a reserve role against the Bills (9/26).
- Started at inside linebacker against the Bengals and scored a touchdown on his first career interception, a 59- yard return of a Carson Palmer pass (9/12).
- Started all 16 games at inside linebacker and finished second on the team with 91 total tackles, 1.5 sacks and four passes defensed.
- Made a career-high 13 tackles at the N.Y. Jets (9/20).
- Registered first sack of his career at Buffalo and then had a half a sack vs. Jacksonville in back-to-back games (12/20 & 12/27).
- Started in the postseason game vs. Baltimore (1/10) and finished with five total tackles.
- Played in 14 games with two starts and recorded 26 tackles (22 solo), three passes defensed, two fumble recoveries and seven special teams tackles.
- Was the only 2008 undrafted rookie to make the Patriots' opening-day roster.
- Made his NFL debut in the Patriots' season-opening win over Kansas City (9/7).
- Led the team in special teams tackles with two against Miami (9/21).
- Recovered a Patrick Ramsey fumble off of a Mike Wright strip-sack against Denver (10/20) to record his first career fumble recovery.
- Tallied a season-high five tackles at Indianapolis (11/2).
- Tallied two passes defensed and his second fumble recovery of the season against the N.Y. Jets (11/13).
- Matched his season high in tackles, making five stops against Pittsburgh (11/30).
- Made his first career start in the Patriots' comeback win at Seattle (12/7).
- Followed with his second straight start at inside linebacker at Oakland (12/14).
- Played four seasons at Georgia Tech from 2004-07.
- As a senior in 2007, finished second on the team in total tackles with 78 while starting all 13 games and had a career-high five sacks.
- Averaged more than one tackle-for-loss per game (1.04).
- As a junior in 2006, totaled 29 tackles while making 12 starts at outside linebacker.
- Contributed a key 38-yard fumble return for a touchdown in a win at Virginia Tech.
- As a sophomore in 2005, made 19 tackles, one sack and one pass defensed.
- As a freshman in 2004, saw action in 12 games on special teams.
- Gary Guyton, Jr. was born the son of Janice and Gary Guyton on Nov. 14, 1985.
- Attended Bradwell Institute (Hinesville, Ga.) where he was a three-year letterman.
- Named to the Atlanta Journal Constitution's Top 50 in Georgia.
- Compiled 56 tackles, three sacks, three fumble recoveries, five passes defensed and a blocked kick as a senior.
- Tallied a career-high 59 tackles as a junior.
- Majored in management at Georgia Tech.