James Ihedigbo was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on Aug. 19, 2011 … Originally signed by the New York Jets as a rookie free agent (5/15/07) … Waived by the Jets (8/20/07) … Signed by the Jets to the practice squad (9/3/08) … Signed by the Jets to the 53-man roster from the practice squad (10/29/08).
James Ihedigbo was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on Aug. 19, 2011 … Originally signed by the New York Jets as a rookie free agent (5/15/07) … Waived by the Jets (8/20/07) … Signed by the Jets to the practice squad (9/3/08) … Signed by the Jets to the 53-man roster from the practice squad (10/29/08).SEASONAL REVIEWS2011 (16/12, 3/3)
2010 (14/0, 3/0 – New York Jets)
- Started 12-of-16 games, finishing the season with 72 tackles (50 solo).
- Made five tackles in a start against the Giants in Super Bowl XLVI (2/5).
- Sacked Joe Flacco for a 12-yard loss on a third quarter third-and-eight in the red zone, forcing a Ravens field goal. Added eight tackles in a start in the AFC Championship game (1/22).
- Started at safety and made seven tackles in the Divisional playoff game against the Broncos (1/14).
- Made one tackle in a start against the Bills (1/1).
- Made eight tackles in a start against the Dolphins (12/24).
- Contributed seven tackles in a start against the Broncos (12/18).
- Recorded five tackles in a start against the Redskins (12/11).
- Made five tackles in a start against the Colts (12/4).
- Tallied six tackles and a pass defensed in a start against the Eagles (11/27).
- Made five tackles in a start against the Chiefs (11/21).
- Made a career-high eight tackles in a start against the Jets (11/13).
- Recorded four tackles in a start against the Giants (11/6).
- Made seven solo tackles in a start against the Steelers (10/30).
- Started at safety for the second game in a row, making seven tackles. Combined with Kyle Arrington to break up a Tony Romo pass on third down in the fourth quarter in Patriots territory, forcing a Cowboys punt (10/16).
- Started his first career game, making seven tackles against the Jets (10/9).
- Saw time on defense and special teams, making two tackles against the Raiders (10/2).
- Recorded one special teams tackle against the Bills (9/25).
- Made two tackles in a reserve role against the Chargers (9/18).
- Saw time on special teams against the Dolphins in his first game as a Patriot (9/12).
2009 (15/0, 3/0 – New York Jets):
- Played in 14 regular season games and three postseason games for the Jets.
- Finished with 22 total tackles on defense, 3.0 sacks and one fumble recovery.
- He finished second on the team with a career-high 27 special teams tackles.
- He played in three postseason games, finishing with three total tackles and one special teams tackle.
2008 (8/0 – New York Jets)
- Played in 15 games in the regular season and three postseason games for the Jets.
- Recorded 19 tackles on defense, 2.0 sacks and one forced fumble as a contributor to the Jets’ number one ranked defense.
- Led the Jets with 26 special teams tackles.
- Garnered playing time in all three postseason games and finished with six tackles as well as 10 special teams tackles.
- Registered his first NFL sack when he dropped Tampa Bay’s QB Josh Freeman for a 4-yard loss at Tampa Bay (12/13).
2007 (0/0 – New York Jets)
- Was waived by the Jets following training camp before being signed to the practice squad on Sept.3.
- Was signed from the practice squad to the 53-man roster on Oct. 29.
- Played in eight games and finished 8 total tackles on defense and 11 special teams tackles.
- Played in his first NFL regular-season game at Buffalo (11/1).
- Spent his rookie season on injured reserve.
- A former walk-on turned three-year starter at UMass, who served as the team captain his senior season.
- Recorded 251 total tackles, 12.5 sacks and eight interceptions and 19 passes defensed in his college career.
- Named Walter Camp All-American, College Sporting News All-Star and Atlantic-10 First Team defensive back his senior season.
- Recorded 74 total tackles and four interceptions as a true freshman.
- Born Dec. 3, 1983 in Northampton, Mass.
- His parents moved to the United States 30 years ago from Nigeria and both received their doctorates from the University of Massachusetts.
- Has three brothers, Emeka, Nate and David and one sister, Onyi.
- Majored in Sociology at UMass.