Mark Anderson was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on Aug. 5, 2011…Originally drafted by the Chicago Bears in the fifth round (159th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft …Released by Chicago (10/5/10) … Signed by Houston as a free agent (10/6/10).
Mark Anderson was signed by the Patriots as a free agent on Aug. 5, 2011…Originally drafted by the Chicago Bears in the fifth round (159th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft …Released by Chicago (10/5/10) … Signed by Houston as a free agent (10/6/10).CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
SEASONAL REVIEWS2011 (16/1, 3/2)
- Made an immediate impact as a rookie in 2006 by equaling the fourth-highest sack total recorded by an NFL rookie since 1982 with 12.0 sacks and finished second in NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year Voting.
2010 (15/3 - Chicago/Houston)
- Played in all 16 regular season games with one start, 36 tackles and the second 10-sack season of his career. Combined with Andre Carter’s 10 sacks, it was the third time in Patriots history (1985 and 1977) that two players have finished with double digit sacks. Finished the season with 36 tackles in 16 games with one start. Started two of the three postseason games, recording 2.5 sacks and 10 tackles.
- Sacked Eli Manning on third-and-13 on the opening drive of Super Bowl XLVI. Combined with Rob Ninkovich for another third-down sack in the third quarter, forcing a Giants field goal. Tallied five tackles (2/5).
- Sacked Joe Flacco on third down in the first quarter for a loss of seven yards. Tallied three tackles in a start at outside linebacker in the AFC Championship game vs. the Ravens (1/22).
- Made his first career postseason start, opening the Divisional playoff game against the Broncos at defensive end (1/14). Brought down Willis McGahee for a five-yard loss in the third quarter, helping force Denver to settle for a field goal on that series. Recorded two tackles and a pass
- Sacked Ryan Fitzpatrick for a loss of eight yards in the second quarter, adding eight tackles in a reserve role against the Bills (1/1).
- Played in a reserve role against the Dolphins (12/24).
- Sacked Tim Tebow twice for 18 yards, as well as forced and recovered a Tebow fumble in the second quarter. Added four tackles against the Broncos (12/18).
- Made his first start as a Patriot, recording three tackles against the Redskins (12/11).
- Made two tackles in a reserve role against the Colts (12/4).
- Made one tackle in a reserve role against the Eagles (11/27).
- Tallied 1.5 sacks for 12 yards, making four tackles and two quarterback hits against the Chiefs (11/21).
- Combined with Andre Carter to sack Mark Sanchez for a loss of nine yards on second-and-seven in the second quarter, helping force a Jets punt two plays later. Added three tackles against the Jets (11/13).
- Played in a reserve role and recorded one pass defensed, breaking up an Eli Manning pass on third-and-10 in the second quarter and forcing a Giants punt (11/6).
- Sacked Ben Roethlisberger on third down in the fourth quarter to force a Steelers punt. Added three tackles in a reserve role (10/30).
- Played in a reserve role against the Cowboys (10/16).
- Combined with Rob Ninkovich for a third-down sack of
Mark Sanchez, who he sacked again on the final play of
the game. Added three tackles in a reserve role against the
- Recorded two tackles and a quarterback hit against the Raiders (10/2).
- Made one tackle and one quarterback hit in a reserve role against the Bills (9/25).
- Sacked Philip Rivers in the final minutes of the Chargers game, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Kyle Love., and recorded one tackle (9/18).
- Recorded one sack and one tackle in his first game as a Patriot against the Dolphins (9/12).
2009 (16/2 - Chicago)
- Began the season with Chicago, playing in the first four games with one start before being released on Oct. 5.
- Was signed by Houston on Oct. 6 and played in 11 games with two starting assignments.
- Finished the season with 24 total tackles, 4.0 sacks and two passes defensed.
2008 (16/0 - Chicago)
- Posited 21 tackles and 3.5 sacks.
2007 (14/14 - Chicago)
- Appeared in all 16 games and finished fourth on the team with nine quarterback hits.
- Totalled 21 tackles, 1.0 sack and one fumble recovery.
2006 (16/1, 3/0 - Chicago)
- Started in all 14 games after earning the starting job at right defensive end.
- Missed the final two games with a knee injury that forced him on to the injured reserve list.
- Finished the season with 36 total tackles, 5.0 sacks and one forced fumble.
- Finished rookie campaign with 12.0 sacks, 48 total tackles, four forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
- Also appeared in three postseason games, including Super Bowl XLI.
- His 12.0 sacks equaled the fourth-highest total recorded by an NFL rookie since 1982.
- Finished second in NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year voting.
- Was named All-Rookie and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for October after registering 6.0 sacks during the month.
- Made his first career start at Arizona (10/6), recording five tackles and forced a fumble on a sack of Cardinals QB Matt Leinart that was returned for a Bears' touchdown.
- Four-year letterman at Alabama (2001-05), starting in 30 of 50 games, including the final 29 games of his career.
- Finished with 141 career tackles, 13.5 sacks, five forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries.
- Received second-team all-SEC accolades as a senior.
- Earned Alabama's Billy Neighbors Most Improved Defensive Lineman award as a sophomore.
- Played every game during his freshman season, earning the Ozzie Newsome Most Improved Freshman award.
- Born May 26, 1983 in Tulsa, Okla.
- Attended Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa, Okla.