Ryan Mallett was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (74th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Ryan Mallett was drafted by the New England Patriots in the third round (74th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft. SEASONAL REVIEWS
2012 (4/0, 0/0)
2011 (0/0, 0/0)
- Earned the backup quarterback spot out of training camp.
- Appeared in his first NFL game in win at St. Louis (10/28), completing one pass on three attempts for 17 yards in fourth-quarter relief.
- Was active but did not play for nine games this season.
- Was inactive for Super Bowl XLVI against the Giants, the AFC Championship game against the Ravens (1/22), as well as the Divisional playoff game against the Broncos (1/14).
- Was active but did not play against the Bills (9/25).
- Was inactive against the Dolphins (9/12), Chargers (9/18), Raiders (10/2), Jets (10/9), Cowboys (10/16), Steelers (10/30), Giants (11/6), Jets (11/13), Chiefs (11/21), Eagles (11/27), Colts (12/4), Redskins (12/11), Broncos (12/18) and Dolphins (12/24).
- Began his college career at Michigan before transferring to Arkansas.
- During his collegiate career, Mallett appeared in 37 games (11 at Michigan and 26 at Arkansas).
- Started all 26 contests he appeared in at Arkansas and three at Michigan.
- He concluded his college career with 8,385 yards, 69 touchdowns and 24 interceptions, completing 552-of-955 passes (57.80%).
- Joined Clint Stoerner (1996-99) as the only Arkansas quarterbacks to throw for 7,000 yards in a career and became just the fourth passer in Southeastern Conference history with 3,000 yards and 30 touchdowns in back-to-back seasons.
- As a Razorback, Mallett completed 491-of-814 attempts (60.32%) for 7,493 yards, 62 touchdowns and 19 interceptions.
- His 7,793 pass yards broke Stoerner's all-time Arkansas record of 7,422 and rank 20th in Southeastern Conference annals.
- Set a school season-record with 3,869 pass yards in 2010.
- Placed second on the school's season-record chart with 3,624 pass yards in 2009.
- Broke Stoerner's Arkansas game record with 408 pass yards vs. Georgia in 2009 and then topped his own mark with 409 yards vs. Vanderbilt in 2010.
- Connected with Mario Manningham on a 97-yard touchdown pass vs. Wisconsin in 2007, setting a record for the longest play in Michigan history.
- Threw for a school-record 62 touchdowns.
- Set the school season-record with 32 touchdown tosses in 2010.
- His 30 touchdown passes in 2009 stand second on the Razorbacks' season-record list and tied for 13th in SEC history.
- Mallett is the only player in Arkansas annals with five touchdown passes in a game, accomplishing the feat on four occasions, most recently vs. Texas-El Paso in 2010.
- Set a school record for consecutive passes without an interception with 141 in 2009.
- Attended Texas High School (Texarkana, Texas).
- Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of Texas.
- Set school records as a senior by completing 204-of-321 passes (63.36%) for 3,353 yards and 33 touchdowns while leading the Tigers to a 12-1 overall record and an appearance in the state quarterfinals.
- Had 133 completions for 2,219 yards and 21 touchdowns while rushing for six more scores as a junior.
- Completed 151 passes for 2,307 yards and 18 touchdowns while rushing for seven more scores as a sophomore.
- Finished his prep career with 8,331 yards and 76 touchdowns on 526-of-938 passing (56.08%).
- Born June 5, 1988 in Batesville, Ark.
- Played left guard and linebacker in his first year of football in sixth grade due to a weight limit to play quarterback.
“You had to be 135 [pounds]. I was 150, so I couldn't touch the ball. I just wanted to play quarterback, which happened in the seventh grade. That experience gave me respect for offensive linemen the rest of my career.”