CAREER TRANSACTIONS Dont'a Hightower
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the first round (25th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. SEASONAL REVIEWS 2014 (12/12)
2013 (16/14, 2/2)
- Inactive vs. Buffalo (12/28) due to injury.
- Started at linebacker, played every defensive snap and led the team with 11 tackles and one sack for a 10-yard loss in the win at N.Y. Jets (12/21).
- Returned from injury to start at linebacker and play every defensive snap in the win vs. Miami (12/14), finishing with eight tackles, a half-sack, two quarterback hits and his first career forced fumble.
- Inactive at San Diego (12/7) due to injury.
- Started at linebacker and posted 10 tackles, including three for losses, and one sack for a loss of nine yards at Green Bay (11/30). He now has 4.5 sacks on the season, a new career high.
- Started at linebacker and led the team with nine tackles in the win vs. Detroit (11/23).
- Started at linebacker and posted five tackles, two quarterback hits and one pass defensed in the win at Indianapolis (11/16).
- Started at linebacker and played every defensive snap in the win vs. Denver (11/2), finishing with six tackles.
- Started at linebacker and recorded eight tackles and a half-sack in the win vs. Chicago (10/26).
- Returned from injury to start at linebacker and play every defensive snap in the win vs. N.Y. Jets (10/16), finishing with a game-high-tying 13 tackles and one sack.
- Inactive vs. Cincinnati (10/5) and at Buffalo (10/12) due to injury.
- Started at linebacker and posted four tackles at Kansas City (9/29).
- Started at linebacker and played all 60 defensive snaps in the win vs. Oakland (9/21), finishing with eight tackles.
- Recorded his first career two-sack game in the win at Minnesota (9/14), taking down Matt Cassel twice for a loss of 22 yards. Also posted eight solo tackles.
- Started in the season opener at Miami (9/7) and recorded two tackles.
2012 (14/13, 2/2)
- Played in all 16 regular-season games with 14 starts and led the team with 137 tackles, one sack and three passes defensed.
- Finished first on the team with seven double-digit tackle performances.
- Started both playoff games and compiled 16 tackles and his first career interception.
- Took over defensive play-calling duties after Jerod Mayo was placed on injured reserve.
- Registered a career-high 16 tackles at N.Y. Jets (10/20).
- Posted 10 stops vs. Miami (10/27). Also registered his first sack of the season, a 9-yard loss on third down that led to a missed field goal.
- Achieved double-digit tackle totals for the fifth time, with 14 tackles vs. Cleveland (12/8). Eclipsed 100 tackles on the season for the first time.
- Posted six tackles at Baltimore (12/22) and defensed a first quarter pass that was intercepted by teammate Logan Ryan and led to a Patriots touchdown.
- Led the defense with eight tackles and made his first career interception in the Divisional Playoff vs. Indanapolis (1/11).
- Earned the starting linebacker job out of training camp and went on to appear in 14 games with 13 starts, compiling 75 tackles, four sacks, three passes defensed and two fumble recoveries - one of which he returned for a touchdown in his first NFL game.
- Started both playoff games and accumulated six tackles.
- Finished with four tackles and a key third-quarter fumble recovery on the Patriots’ goal line to preserve the shutout in the win vs. Miami (12/30).
- Compiled seven tackles and a key third-down sack in the fourth quarter of the win at Jacksonville (12/23).
- Tallied a career-high 10 tackles and defensed one pass vs. San Francisco (12/16).
- Started at linebacker in his first NFL game and returned a fumble caused by a Chandler Jones strip-sack deep in Tennessee territory six yards for a touchdown in the season-opening win at Tennessee (9/9). Also made five tackles including one for a loss.
- Was inactive due to injury at Seattle (10/14) and vs. Denver (10/7).
- Was one of two true freshmen to start for the Crimson Tide in 2008 and earned Freshman All-American honors, as he finished fourth on the team with 64 tackles (26 solos) with 2.5 stops for loss, a pair of fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
- Granted a medical redshirt in 2009 after being limited to just four games due to a knee injury.
- Hightower started 42-of-44 games at Alabama – 26 at weak-side linebacker and 16 at middle linebacker.
- Recorded 234 tackles (101 solos), including five sacks for minus 30 yards, 21.0 stops for losses of 67 yards and 25 quarterback pressures. Also had a pair of forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, seven pass deflections, a 29-yard interception return and a blocked kick.
- A finalist for the Chuck Bednarik, Butkus and Lombardi Awards, Hightower was a consensus All-American and unanimous All-SEC first-team selection in 2011.
- General Studies major.
- Born Qualin Dont’a Hightower on March 12, 1990.
- Hightower first drew recognition his sophomore year of high school when the team’s starting running back quit the team. In the last four games of the season, he rushed for over 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns. After growing to 6 ft 2 prior to his junior year, Hightower was moved to linebacker and tight end. He collected 98 tackles, two sacks, and seven forced fumbles, while at TE, he caught 18 passes for 253 yards and four touchdowns. Having grown to six feet, three inches tall as a senior, Hightower again switched positions, playing defensive end. After recording 168 tackles (14 for loss), five forced fumbles, five interceptions and four fumble recoveries, he was named 3A Mr. Football Lineman of the Year and Defensive Most Valuable Player in 2007.