CAREER TRANSACTIONS Dont'a Hightower
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the first round (25th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (16/14, 2/2)
2012 (14/13, 2/2)
- Started and notched his second double-digit tackle game of his career vs. N.Y. Jets (9/12), reistering 10 tackles.
- Compiled 11 tackles at Atlanta (9/29).
- Took over defensive play-calling duties after Jerod Mayo was placed on Injured Reserve.
- Registered a career-high 16 tackles at N.Y. Jets (10/20).
- Achieved double-digit tackle totals for the fourth time ths season, with 10 stops vs. Miami (10/27). Also registered his first sack of the season, a 9-yard loss on third down that led to a missed field goal.
- Achieved double-digit tackle totals for the fifth time ths season, with 14 tackles vs. Cleveland (12/8). Eclipsed 100 tackles on the season for the first time.
- Pasted six tackles at Baltimore (12/22) and defensed a first quarter pass that was intercepted by teammate Logan Ryan and led to a Patriots touchdown.
- Led the defense with eight tackles and made his first career interception in the Divisional Playoff vs. Indanapolis (1/11).
- Earned the starting linebacker job out of training camp and went on to appear in 14 games with 13 starts, compiling 75 tackles, four sacks, three passes defensed and two fumble recoveries - one of which he returned for a touchdown in his first NFL game.
- Started both playoff games and accumulated six tackles.
- Finished with four tackles and a key third-quarter fumble recovery on the Patriots’ goal line to preserve the shutout in the win vs. Miami (12/30).
- Compiled seven tackles and a key third-down sack in the fourth quarter of the win at Jacksonville (12/23).
- Tallied a career-high 10 tackles and defensed one pass vs. San Francisco (12/16).
- Started at linebacker in his first NFL game and returned a fumble caused by a Chandler Jones strip-sack deep in Tennessee territory six yards for a touchdown in the season-opening win at Tennessee (9/9). Also made five tackles including one for a loss.
- Was inactive due to injury at Seattle (10/14) and vs. Denver (10/7).
- Was one of two true freshmen to start for the Crimson Tide in 2008 and earned Freshman All-American honors, as he finished fourth on the team with 64 tackles (26 solos) with 2.5 stops for loss, a pair of fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
- Granted a medical redshirt in 2009 after being limited to just four games due to a knee injury.
- Hightower started 42-of-44 games at Alabama – 26 at weak-side linebacker and 16 at middle linebacker.
- Recorded 234 tackles (101 solos), including five sacks for minus 30 yards, 21.0 stops for losses of 67 yards and 25 quarterback pressures. Also had a pair of forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, seven pass deflections, a 29-yard interception return and a blocked kick.
- A finalist for the Chuck Bednarik, Butkus and Lombardi Awards, Hightower was a consensus All-American and unanimous All-SEC first-team selection in 2011.
- General Studies major.
- Born Qualin Dont’a Hightower on March 12, 1990.
- Hightower first drew recognition his sophomore year of high school when the team’s starting running back quit the team. In the last four games of the season, he rushed for over 1,000 yards and seven touchdowns. After growing to 6 ft 2 prior to his junior year, Hightower was moved to linebacker and tight end. He collected 98 tackles, two sacks, and seven forced fumbles, while at TE, he caught 18 passes for 253 yards and four touchdowns. Having grown to six feet, three inches tall as a senior, Hightower again switched positions, playing defensive end. After recording 168 tackles (14 for loss), five forced fumbles, five interceptions and four fumble recoveries, he was named 3A Mr. Football Lineman of the Year and Defensive Most Valuable Player in 2007.