CAREER TRANSACTIONSMichael Buchanan
was drafted by the New England Patriots in the seventh round (226th overall) of the 2013 NFL Draft. SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (15/0, 2/0)
- Played in 15 regular-season games and compiled three tackles, two sacks and seven special teams tackles.
- Appeared as a reserve in both playoff contests.
- Was a healthy scratch at Miami (12/15).
- Made his NFL debut in limited action vs. Buffalo (9/8).
- Recorded his first NFL sack vs. N.Y. Jets (9/12) when he dropped Geno Smith for a 6-yard loss in the second quarter.
- Registered his second sack of the season at Atlanta (9/29), a 9-yard loss on third down in New England territory that held the Falcons to a field goal.
- Played in 2013 Senior Bowl.
- Second-team All-Big Ten in both 2011 (coaches) and 2012 (coaches and media); honorable mention All-Big Ten in 2012 (media).
- Played in 46 career games, making 32 starts and posting 161 tackles, 26 tackles for loss and 14 sacks.
- Helped lead Illinois to back-to-back bowl victories in 2010 (Texas Bowl) and 2011 (Kraft Fight Hunger).
- Anchored a 2011 Illinois defense that ranked seventh nationally in total defense (286.2 ypg) and third nationally in pass defense (162.3 ypg).
- Born Jan. 24, 1991.
- Son of Michael Buchanan Sr., and Lolita Jordan.
- Majored in communications.