Mike Wright was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New England Patriots on April 29, 2005 ... Placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury (1/6/06) … Placed on injured reserve with a foot injury (12/13/07) … Re-signed by the Patriots (3/16/09) ... Placed on injured reserve with a head injury (1/7/11).
- Wright has played in 81 games with 21 starts over five seasons since joining the Patriots as an undrafted rookie free agent prior to the 2005 season.
- In his first five NFL seasons, Wright has totaled 156 tackles (95 solo), nine sacks, four forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries and nine special teams tackles.
- Set a career-high in 2009 with nine starting assignments and 5.0 sacks.
- Wright has proven to be a versatile presence on the defensive line, starting at defensive end, defensive tackle and nose tackle in his career.
- Wright was the only undrafted rookie free agent to make the Patriots' opening-day roster in 2005 and played in 13 games as a reserve that season.
- Wright recorded a blocked field goal against Miami on Oct. 8, 2006, reaching up to swat away a 40-yard Olindo Mare attempt.
- Placed on injured reserve with a head injury (10/13).
- Was inactive due to injury against the Jets (10/2), Raiders (10/2), Bills (9/25) and Chargers (9/18).
- Started against the Dolphins, combining with Andre Carter to sack Chad Henne for an eight-yard loss (9/12).
2009 (16/9, 1/0)
- Played both nose tackle and defensive end, finishing the season with 17 total tackles and a career-high 5.5 sacks, despite missing six games due to injury.
- Was inactive due to injury against the Lions (11/25) and Jets (12/6).
- Started on the defensive line against the Colts (11/21)
- Raised his season sack total to 5.5, dropping Ben Roethlisberger for a 10-yard loss on third-and-11 from the Pittsburgh 28-yard line in the fourth quarter and combining with Shawn Crable for a sack on third-and-30 in the first quarter (11/14).
- Started at right defensive end, making two tackles against Cleveland (11/7).
- Sacked Tarvaris Jackson for a loss of 10 yards against the Vikings, marking his fourth game in a row with a sack(10/31). Recorded two tackles.
- Recorded his third straight game with a sack when he dropped Philip Rivers for a five-yard loss in the fourth quarter. Also contributed three tackles against San Diego (10/24).
- Sacked Joe Flacco for a 3-yard loss on third-and-4 in the first quarter, finishing a three-and-out for the Patriots defense and forcing Baltimore to punt on the next play (10/17). Also recorded two tackles.
- Started at nose tackle before moving to defensive end against the Dolphins, contributing three tackles and one sack (10/4).
- Played in a reserve role against the Bills, making one tackle (9/26).
- Registered a quarterback hit in each of the first two games of the season.
- Started at right end in the season opener against the Bengals (9/12).
- Played in all 16 games while setting a career-high with nine starts.
- Also set career highs in tackles (48), sacks (5.0) and passed defensed (2).
- Set a single-game career-high with a two-sack performance vs. Baltimore (10/4), taking down Joe Flacco on a nine-yard sack and an eight-yard sack.
- Recovered a botched snap from center vs. Tennessee (10/18), helping set up a Patriots touchdown on the ensuing drive.
- Started at Buffalo (12/20) and led the team with a season-high 10 tackles, including his fifth sack of the season when he hauled down Ryan Fitzpatrick for a four-yard loss in the first quarter.
- Played in a reserve role in the Patriots postseason game vs. Baltimore (1/10) and finished with four tackles.
- Played in all 16 games and recorded two starts.
- Started at left end in place of an injured Ty Warren against the N.Y. Jets (11/13) and Pittsburgh (11/30).
- Finished the season with 33 tackles (17 solo) and had a then career-high 2.5 sacks, a total that ranked fourth on the team.
- Finished fourth on the club with eight quarterback hits and tied for the team lead with two forced fumbles.
- Notched two tackles, one sack, one forced fumble and a quarterback hit against Denver (10/20).
- Made his first start of the season and posted a season-high eight tackles (5 solo) against the N.Y. Jets (11/13).
- Started at defensive end while playing in his 50th career game against Pittsburgh (11/30) and made seven tackles.
- Tallied his second sack of the season with a 16-yard strip sack of JaMarcus Russell at Oakland (12/14).
- Tallied a single-game career high four quarterback hits, including a half sack, against Arizona (12/21).
2007 (9/1, 0/0)
- Played in nine games and made one start before being placed on injured reserve with a foot injury (12/13).
- Saw his first action of the season and registered his first tackle along with one special teams tackle at Cincinnati (10/1).
- Made his first start of the season at defensive end at Dallas (10/14).
- Tallied a season-high four tackles at Indianapolis (11/4).
- Registered four tackles, including a half sack while dropping Ben Roethlisberger for a nine-yard loss vs. Pittsburgh (12/9).
2006 (16/4, 3/0)
- Played in all 16 games, starting three contests at nose tackle and one at defensive tackle.
- Made his first career NFL start at defensive tackle against the N.Y. Jets (9/17).
- Got his hand up and blocked an Olindo Mare 40-yard field goal against Miami (10/8).
- Saw significant action on the defensive front and registered two solo tackles and a forced fumble against Buffalo (10/22).
- Played in a reserve role on the defensive front and notched four solo tackles and a fumble recovery at Green Bay (11/19).
- Deflected a punt and notched a solo tackle during special teams duty against Chicago (11/26).
- Against Detroit (12/3), pounced on a Jon Kitna fumble that was forced by a Rosevelt Colvin strip-sack.
- Started at nose tackle against Houston (12/17) and notched six tackles (3 solo) and a sack.
- Led the team with a career-high 12 tackles (9 solo) while making the start at nose tackle at Tennessee (12/31).
2005 (13/0, 0/0)
- Played in 13 games as a rookie and collected 16 tackles (10 solo) while serving as a backup along the defensive line.
- Placed on injured reserve with an ankle injury (1/6/06) and missed the playoffs.
- Made his NFL debut and saw action on the kickoff return unit against Carolina (9/18).
- Registered four tackles (2 solo) against the Colts (11/7).
- Saw significant action on the defensive front and collected five tackles (4 solo) in the season finale against Miami (1/1).
- As a senior at Cincinnati in 2004, led all defensive tackles with 42 stops, while recording six tackles for loss.
- Tallied a career-high eight tackles against Army.
- Blocked a PAT against Miami (Ohio) which was returned for a defensive score.
- Played in nine games, making six starts on the defensive line for the Bearcats in 2003 and finished the season with 32 tackles and 4.5 tackles for loss.
- Named Cincinnati's newcomer of the year on defense.
- Missed the entire 2002 campaign with a knee injury in the preseason.
- Joined the Bearcats as a walk-on in 2001 and was redshirted after transferring from Ashland University.
- In 2000, played on special teams in seven games in his only season at Ashland.
- Mike Wright was born the son of Gary and Chris Wright on March 1, 1982 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- All-state honoree as a senior at Purcell Marian High, playing for coach Tom Stickley.
- Named to the all-city team after helping lead the team to a league title his senior year.
- Participated in the 2008 Salvation Army Holiday Party at Gillette Stadium with nearly 250 children from the Boston and Providence Salvation Army centers.
- Majored in criminal justice at Cincinnati.