McGuffie, 24, was originally signed by the Oakland Raiders on April 29, 2013 as a rookie free agent out of Rice. The 5-10, 200-pounder was released by Oakland on Aug. 26 and signed by the Arizona Cardinals to the practice squad on Sept. 3 before being released on Sept. 17. McGuffie began his college career at Michigan as a running back, seeing action as a true freshman, before transferring to Rice. After two seasons as a running back at Rice, he made a successful transition from running back to slot receiver as a senior in 2012 and finished with 54 receptions for 603 yards and five touchdowns. Signed to the Patriots practice squad on Friday, December 27, 2013.
Sam McGuffie was signed by the New England Patriots to the practice squad on Dec. 27, 2013 … Originally signed by Oakland as a rookie free agent (4/29/13) ... Released by Oakland (8/26/13) ... Signed by Arizona to the practice squad ... Released by Arizona (9/17/13). SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (0/0)
- Signed with Oakland as a free agent following the draft and was released during training camp as well as a short stint on Arizona’s practice squad in September.
- Transferred to Rice after one season at Michigian.
- Began his college career as a running back and switched to wide receiver before his senior season.
- Became the fist player in Rice history to accumulate 1,000 yards both receiving and rushing in his career.
- Earned second-team All Conference-USA from Phil Steele and honorable mention honors from league coaches following his sophomore campaign in 2010.
- Competed in track for the Owls after enrolling at Rice in January 2009. Sat out the 2009 football season after transferring form Michigan.
- Lettered his freshman year in 2008 while playing in 10 games with six starts. Finished second on the team in rushing and third in receiving
- Full name Samuel Terrence McGuffie
- Son of Terrie and Victoria McGuffie
- Majored in sociology.