CAREER TRANSACTIONS Steve Gregory
was signed by the New England Patriots as an unrestricted free agent from San Diego on March 16, 2012 … Originally signed by San Diego as a rookie free agent (5/8/06) … Waived by San Diego (9/2/06) … Signed by San Diego to the practice squad (9/4/06) … Signed by San Diego to the 53-man roster from the practice squad (9/30/06). CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (14/11, 2/2)
- Scored his first career touchdown with San Diego in 2011 when he returned an interception 26 yards for a score vs. Buffalo (12/11).
- Had a career-high three takeaways in a single game when he recovered two fumbles, returning one for a touchdown and intercepted a pass in a win at N.Y. Jets (11/22).
- Totaled career-highs in 2009 with 71 tackles, two sacks, six passes defensed and two fumble recoveries.
- Registered first career sack in 2009 at Kansas City (10/25) and also recorded an interception.
2012 (12/12, 2/2)
- Starts at safety alongside Devin McCourty.
- Compiled a season-high nine tackles three different times: at Buffalo (9/8), at Atlanta (9/29) and vs. New Orleans (10/13).
- Made two key stops vs. New Orleans (10/13) on the Saints final drive late in the fourth quarter that led to a punt that gave the ball back to the Patriots for a game-winning drive.
- Tallied seven tackles vs. Pittsburgh (11/3) before leaving in the third quarter with a thumb injury and did not return.
- Was inactive due to injury at Carolina (11/18) and vs. Denver (11/24).
- Returned after missing two games due and posted four tackles at Houston (12/1).
- Starts at safety alongside Devin McCourty.
- Started his first playoff game as a Patriot and tallied a team-high tying 10 tackles in the win vs. Houston (1/13). Also defensed one pass.
- Set a single-season career high with his third interception in the win vs. Miami (12/30) that led to a Patriots touchdown. Also finished with three tackles.
- Accounted for three turnovers in win at N.Y. Jets (11/22): recovered two fumbles and returned one for a touchdown and intercepted one pass. Also registered six tackles and forced one fumble that was recovered by the Jets.
- Returned to the lineup vs. Buffalo (11/11) and registered a season-high nine tackles.
- Was inactive due to injury at St. Louis (10/28), vs. N.Y. Jets (10/21), at Seattle (10/14) and vs. Denver (10/7).
- Intercepted his first pass as a Patriot at Baltimore (9/23) and returned it 36 yards deep inside Ravens territory to set up a Patriots touchdown.
2011 (15/13 – San Diego)
- Played in 16 games with 13 starts at strong safety and finished with 67 tackles, three passes defensed and one interception, which was returned for a touchdown.
- Scored his first career touchdown when he returned an interception 26 yards for a score vs. Buffalo (12/11).
2010 (9/9 – San Diego)
- Played and started nine games, finishing with 44 tackles, two passes defensed and two interceptions.
- Recorded a season-high 12 tackles vs. Jacksonville (9/19).
- Returned a fourth quarter interception 41 yards in win vs. San Francisco (12/16).
2009 (16/6, 1/0 – San Diego)
- Played in 16 games with 6 starts, totaling career-highs with 71 tackles, two sacks, six passes defensed and two fumble recoveries in addition to one interception.
- Registered first career sack at Kansas City (10/25) and also recorded an interception.
- Had two fumble recoveries, including one in the end zone for a touchback and a season-high three passes defensed at Denver (11/22).
- Recorded a career-high eight tackles at Dallas (12/13).
- Tipped a pass that led to an interception in Wild Card playoff game vs. Jets (1/17).
2008 (15/3, 2/1 – San Diego)
- Played in 15 games, starting three and finished with 36 tackles and four passes defensed.
2007 (16/0, 3/0 – San Diego)
- Played in all 16 games, totaling 11 tackles, one pass defensed and eight special teams tackles.
2006 (14/0, 1/0 – San Diego)
- Played in 14 games, finishing with 12 tackles, one pass defensed, one fumble recovery and eight special teams tackles.
- Began his rookie season on the practice squad before being signed to the 53-man roster in early September.
- Had three special teams tackles vs. St. Louis (10/29) and vs. Denver (12/10).
- Four-year starter at Syracuse, spending three seasons at cornerback and his junior season at wide receiver.
- Ranks third in school history with 40 career passes defensed, including a school-record six vs. North Carolina in 2002.
- Registered 168 tackles, six interceptions and two forced fumbles over his career.
- Had five career blocked kicks, tied for second all-time in school history.
- Named to Freshmen All-America and All-Big East teams after leading the nation with 21 passes defensed as a freshman.
- Born in Brooklyn, N.Y and was named Newsday and New York Daily News All-City WR at Curtis High School in Staten Island, N.Y.
- Won the Al Fabbri Award as Staten Island’s best player.
- Rushed for a borough-record 2,060 yards as a senior and finished high school career with 51 touchdowns, 184 tackles and five interceptions.
- Majored in finance and marketing.
- Gregory's father and stepmother are New York City police officers and both were on duty during the events of September 11, 2001.
- Following his college career, Gregory took the test to enter the police academy. He found out he passed the test on the same day that the Chargers called him to offer a free agent contract.