CAREER TRANSACTIONS Tommy Kelly
was signed by the New England Patriots as a free agent on April 10, 2013 … Originally signed by Oakland as a rookie free agent (4/30/04) … Released by Oakland (3/27/13). CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
SEASONAL REVIEWS 2013 (5/5)
- Enters 2013 with a streak of 80 consecutive starts on the defensive line after starting all 16 games for the last five seasons.
- Had a career day at Minnesota (11/20/11), intercepting Christian Ponder in the third quarter for his first career interception and posting two sacks and two pass deflections.
- Has started at both defensive tackle and defensive end during his career.
2012 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Started along the defensive line and recovered a first-quarter fumble that led to a Pratriots touchdown in the season opener at Buffalo (9/8).
- Started and registered his first sack as a Patriot for a 3-yard loss vs. N.Y Jets (9/12).
- Made three tackles and a registered a ½ sack for a 3½ yards vs. Tampa Bay (9/22).
- Compiled three tackles and a sack for an 8-yard loss at Cincinnati (10/6). Left the game in the fourth quarter with a knee injury and did not return.
- Was inactive due to injury vs. New Orleans (10/13), at N.Y. Jets (10/20) and vs. Miami (10/27).
- Placed on Injured Reserve with a knee injury on Nov 2, 2013.
2011 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games for the fifth consecutive season, bringing his consecutive starts streak to 80 games.
- Posted 45 tackles, one sack and one fumble recovery.
- Recovered a fumble in a win at Kansas City (10/28).
2010 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games and led the team with a career-high 7½ sacks, recorded his first career interception and posted 41 tackles, five passes defensed and two forced fumbles.
- Played in his 100th career game vs. New York Jets, and shared a nine-yard sack with Jarvis Moss.
- Had a career day at Minnesota (11/20), intercepting Christian Ponder in the third quarter for his first career interception and posting two sacks and two pass deflections.
2009 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games, posting 50 tackles and seven sacks, including a career-high five straight games with at least a ½ sack.
- Began his streak with a half sack vs. San Diego (10/10), posted one sack each at San Francisco (10/17) and at Denver (10/24), tallied 1½ sacks vs. Seattle (10/31) and one sack vs. Kansas City (11/7).
2008 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games, finishing with 55 tackles, one sack, six tackles for loss and two passes defensed.
- Set a career-high with 13 tackles at Houston (10/4).
2007 (7/6 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games, totaling 55 tackles and 4½ sacks.
- Posted full sacks vs. New York Jets (10/19), vs. Carolina (11/9), at Miami (11/16) and vs. Kansas City (11/30).
2006 (16/16 – Oakland)
- Played in seven games with six starts before suffering a season-ending knee injury and being placed on Injured Reserve.
- Tallied 30 tackles and one sack prior to the injury.
- Blocked Phil Dawson’s game-winning field goal attempt as time expired in an Oakland victory vs. Cleveland (9/23).
2005 (16/12 – Oakland)
- Started all 16 games, appearing at defensive end and defensive tackle, compiling a career-high 68 tackles, 3½ sacks, three passes defensed and a forced fumble.
- Recorded a season-high 10 tackles at Seattle (11/6).
2004 (10/3 – Oakland)
- Played in all 16 games with 12 starts – eight at defensive end and four at defensive tackle – finishing with 45 tackles and 4½ sacks, in addition to three forced fumbles.
- Tied a franchise record with three sacks at Kansas City (11/6), along with two forced fumbles.
- Forced a fumble deep in Redskins’ territory that was received by the Raiders and led to an Oakland field goal at Washington (11/20).
- Played in 10 games with three starts after being inactive for the first six games of the season; posted 20 tackles, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and led the team with four sacks.
- Recorded sacks in his three games: in his NFL debut vs. New Orleans (10/24), at San Diego (10/31) and at Carolina (11/7), when his fourth quarter sack forced a fumble.
- Registered a sack and a forced fumble vs. Tennessee (12/19).
- Made the Raiders 53-man roster as an undrafted free agent.
- Appeared in 22 games at Mississippi State after transferring from Hinds (Miss.) Community College.
- Made 82 career tackles, including 15 for loss and two sacks.
- Played in all 11 games in his only year at Hinds, posting 50 tackles, eight tackles for loss and one sack.
- Was selected to play in the Mississippi/Alabama High School All-Star Game after his senior season during which he made 102 tackles and 11 sacks.
- Played just one year of football at Provine High School (Jackson, Miss.) but was a two-way standout at tight end and defensive end.