New England Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel addresses the media during his postgame press conference on Sunday, November 23, 2008.
(On having two consecutive 400 yard passing games)
- "I'm happy about it, there's no doubt. I'm just happy about the fact that we were able to win and put together a great outing today and continue to move forward offensively. I think the production is starting to come around, and that's a good thing for us."
(On his comfort level)
- "Everybody has to work together. You know, the receiver has got to run good routes. The offense line has to block, running backs have to do their job. And when it all works together and works right, it's easy for me."
(On not being as tentative anymore)
- "I think that you just become more comfortable as you play. As I talked about earlier in the season, a lot of it has to do with game speed. You cannot simulate game speed in practice. So as much as you want to say that you're ready and that you've stepped on the field ready to go, the fact of the matter is that it takes you a little time to adjust to that game speed. So now I feel like I've gotten a few games under my belt. I feel a lot more comfortable out there."
(On becoming more acquainted with WR Randy Moss)
- "Today we had a great day, and I'm happy to be able to go out there and have some production with him. He made some great plays out there, and we've got to keep doing that and keep going to them and let him do what he does best, which is make plays."
(On being amazed by Randy's ability)
- "I'm always amazed at what Randy can do. He's got amazing hands, his body control, and how he's able to control the defender with his body, and then go up and get the ball. He's a special player and those guys don't come around much, so I'm lucky to be on the same team with him."
(On his future as quarterback)
- "I'm going to continue to move forward and continue to try to have production with this offense, and we're just trying to win games. It's really a one week to one week type of season for us. Next week we've got a big game with the Steelers coming in, and that's what we're going to concentrate on. But I don't look ahead, and I don't look to the future because it's pointless, anything can happen."
(On thinking about his personal career statistics during the game)
- "Not really, you know. You go out and try and execute the game plan. You never really think about statistics, you just keep going out and try and execute and execute. In this game, it was back and forth and back and forth. As you can imagine, the stress level continues to increase with every series, but it just comes down to continuing to put together those drives and those scoring drives to keep yourself in the ball game."
(On his feelings of the shot gun)
- "I'm comfortable in the shot gun. It's really whatever they call-I just try to go out there and play the game."
(On how he's one of the few quarterbacks who have accomplished a 400 yard passing game in two consecutive games)
- "I did not know that at all, but that's a pretty cool stat. I'm just happy that we got a win, we'll be realistic."
(On if he knows who the other quarterbacks are to have done this)
- "No clue to be completely honest...but well there you go. That's a pretty cool crew to be with."
(On if he was surprised that they didn't blitz more)
- "They're not much of a blitzing team, but then in the second half as we started getting going with the first few drives, they started increased pressure a little bit, and we were able to make a few plays so maybe that knocked them out of it."
(On how many people didn't even have him on their prospective rosters before the season started)
- "I don't read the papers or anything like that. Once preseason was over, I knew the feedback that I was getting from the coaches which was all positive. And a lot of people with an outsiders' perspective had a different opinion, and it's funny to me that a lot of people casted me out and said that 'this guy's not even going to make the team' but that's part of sports and that's part of football and overcoming adversities and doing these kind of things...that's what sports is all about."
(On being comfortable with the place he's at now in his career)
- "No, I've got a lot of room to grow, in many different areas whether it be protection where I'm actually throwing the ball, whether it be working with Randy or Wes on certain routes and Jab as well. We've got to just continue to build on the things we've done well. We've had some success the last two weeks but in no way am I comfortable with where I'm at."
(On if he sensed any frustration from his teammates today)
- "I'm sure there's a little bit of frustration, and I just try to tell the guys in the huddle be smart, it's not worth it."
(On if he feels any pressure as quarterback)
- "Not at all. That's what you have to do in this league. That's what you have to do in the NFL is manage the game. That's the first priority and first job of any quarterback is to go out there and manage the game and manage the time on the clock and do those things well."