NEW ENGLAND TIES
- San Francisco head coach Chip Kelly was born in Dover, N.H. and attended Manchester Central High School. He played defensive back at the University of New Hampshire and later went on to coach for the Wildcats through 2006.
- 49ers defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro attended American International College where he played his college career and later began his coaching profession as a graduate assistant. He went on to coach at numerous other New England colleges including Westfield State, Western New England, the University of Massachusetts, Boston College, the University of Maine and the University of New Hampshire.
- San Francisco defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley coached running backs at Worcester Polytechnic Institute in 2001.
- 49ers senior analyst Dana Bible coached at Boston College from 1999-2006 and held offensive coordinator, quarterbacks, and wide receivers coaching positions during that time.
- San Francisco defensive quality control coach Tem Lukabu was the linebackers coach at the University of Rhode Island from 2008-09.
- 49ers quarterbacks coach Ryan Day was born in Manchester, N.H. and attended Manchester Central High School like head coach Chip Kelly. Day attended the University of New Hampshire and went on to coach the tight ends there in 2002. He later held three different coaching stints at Boston College including roles as a graduate assistant from 2003-04, wide receivers coach from 2007-11 and offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 2013-14.
- San Francisco wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell was born rand Holliston, Mass. and attended Boston College. He later began his career at Boston University as an assistant coach from 1993-97.
SAN FRANCISCO TIES
- Patriots QB Tom Brady grew up in San Mateo, Calif. in the San Francisco Bay Area. When he was just four years old, he attended the 1981 NFC Championship Game with his father. He was in the stands at Candlestick Park when Joe Montana found Dwight Clark for "The Catch" that sent the 49ers to the Super Bowl.
- New England WR Julian Edelman is originally from Redwood City, Calif. in the Bay Area.
- Patriots OL Cameron Fleming and DB Jordan Richards played their college careers at Stanford University.
- San Francisco WR Chris Harperplayed in five games for the Patriots during the 2015 season.
- 49ers DT Chris Jones played in 32 games for the Patriots from 2013- 15, including four playoff games and Super Bowl XLIX.
- 49ers offensive quality control coach Mick Lombardi served as a scouting assistant and coaching assistant in New England after he was originally hired as a training camp intern in the scouting department in 2011.
- San Francisco offensive assistant **Kevin O'Connell *began his playing career when he was originally drafted in the third round (94th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- San Francisco G Zane Beadles played for the Broncos during the 2010 season when Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels was the head coach in Denver.
- 49ers K Phil Dawson played for the Browns when New England tight ends coach Brian Daboll was the offensive coordinator in Cleveland.
- San Francisco RB Shaun Draughn played with Patriots TE Martellus Bennett and LB Shea McClellin at the Chicago Bears and was also teammates with RB Dion Lewis and DL Jabaal Sheard at the Indianapolis Colts.
- 49ers defensive coordinator Jim O'Neil was the linebackers coach in Buffalo when Patriots DL Alan Branch and WR Chris Hogan played for the Bills.
- O'Neil was also the defensive coordinator in Cleveland when Patriots DL Jabaal Sheard and RB Dion Lewis played for the Browns.
- San Francisco offensive coordinator Curtis Modkins was the running backs coach in Arizona when New England DL Alan Branch played for the Cardinals. Modkins was also the offensive coordinator in Buffalo when Patriots WR Chris Hogan played for the Bills, and he was the running backs coach for the Lions when New England OL LaAdrian Waddle played in Detroit.
- 49ers special teams coach Derius Swinton II and inside linebackers coach Joe Bowden worked in St. Louis when Patriots DE Chris Long and WR Danny Amendola played for the Rams. Swinton also coached in Kansas City when Patriots tight ends coachBrian Daboll was the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs, and he held the assistant special teams coach position in Chicago when New England TE Martellus Bennett and LB Shea McClellin played for the Bears in 2015.
- San Francisco defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley worked in Tampa Bay when Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount played for the Buccaneers. Hafley also coached in Cleveland when Patriots DL Jabaal Sheard and RB Dion Lewis played for the Browns.
- 49ers offensive line coach Pat Flaherty worked for the Giants during the 2012 season when Patriots TE Martellus Bennett played in New York.
- 49ers defensive quality control coach Tem Lukabu was a defensive assistant with the Buccaneers when Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount played in Tampa Bay.
- San Francisco wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell held the same role in Buffalo during the 2012 season when Patriots WR Chris Hogan played for the Bills.
- 49ers tight ends coach Jeff Nixon was the offensive/special teams assistant for the Eagles when Patriots WR Danny Amendola played in Philadelphia. Nixon also served as the running backs coach in Miami when Patriots tight ends coach Brian Daboll was the offensive coordinator for the Dolphins.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- 49ers head coach Chip Kelly was the offensive coordinator at Oregon during the careers of both Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount and S Patrick Chung. Kelly became the head coach for the Ducks during Blount's final season with the team.
- San Francisco TE Blake Belland Patriots DL Geneo Grissom were teammates at Oklahoma.
- 49ers CB Marcus Cromartie played with Patriots RB James White at Wisconsin.
- San Francisco DT Quinton Dial played at Alabama when New England special teams coach *Joe Judge was the football analyst/special teams assistant for the Crimson Tide. Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower and CB Cyrus Jones were also teammates with Dial at Alabama.
- 49ers G Joshua Garnett and LB Shayne Skov were teammates with Patriots DB Jordan Richards and OL Cameron Fleming at Stanford. San Francisco outside linebackers coach **Jason Tarver *was also at Stanford when Richards and Fleming played for the Cardinals.
- San Francisco RB Carlos Hyde played with Patriots DB Nate Ebner at Ohio State.
- 49ers CB Dontae Johnson was teammates with Patriots OL Joe Thuney at North Carolina State.
- San Francisco WR Jeremy Kerley played with New England OL Marcus Cannon at Texas Christian.
- 49ers WR Quinton Patton was teammates with Patriots P Ryan Allen at Louisiana Tech.
- San Francisco defensive backs coach Jeff Hafley worked at Pittsburgh when Patriots DL Jabaal Sheard and RB Dion Lewis played for the Panthers. Hafley also coached at Rutgers when Patriots DB Duron Harmon and CB Logan Ryan played for the Scarlet Knights.
- 49ers defensive quality control coach Tem Lukabu worked in player development at Rutgers when Patriots DB Devin McCourty played for the Scarlet Knights. Lukabu later went on to coach the outside linebackers at Rutgers when Patriots DB Duron Harmon and CB Logan Ryan were with the team.
- San Francisco assistant special teams coach Michael Clay was teammates with Patriots RB LeGarrette Blount at Oregon in 2009.