You are here
Show More Events
Sun., Feb. 18, 2018 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM EST
Listen to the 'best of the week' from Patriots.com radio.
Mon., Feb. 19, 2018 8:30 AM to 11:59 PM EST
Listen to a replay of Monday's PFW in Progress.
Tue., Feb. 20, 2018 12:00 AM to 11:55 AM EST
Listen to a replay of the "Best Of" Patriots.com Radio.
Connections: Patriots - Jaguars
Tuesday, January 16, 2018 5:10 PM EST
Embed Code #1436 (Taboola Right Rail Thumb)
Embed Code #1426 (Taboola Article Head)
Embed Code #1441 (Taboola Article Body Tag)
A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
NEW ENGLAND TIES Read
- Jaguars executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin spent three seasons (1991-93) as the head coach at Boston College. He also coached Boston College's quarterbacks from 1981-83, where he tutored Doug Flutie, who went on to win the Heisman Trophy in 1984 and play in the NFL, including two different stops with the Patriots.
- Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone coached the offensive line at Northeastern University for one year in 1994.
NORTH FLORIDA TIES Read
- Patriots RB Mike Gillislee attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Fla., where he played for the Gators from 2009-12. Gillislee hails from DeLand, Fla., which is about 100 miles south of Jacksonville.
FORMER PATRIOTS Read
- Jaguars defensive line coach Marion Hobby played defensive end for the Patriots from 1990-92. During his three year tenure at New England, Hobby played in 42 regular season games.
- Jaguars TE James O'Shaughnessy was traded to the Patriots from the Kansas City Chiefs in April 2017. He spent OTAs and training camp with the club before being waived during roster cut downs prior to the start of the 2017 regular season.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES Read
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and Jacksonville executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin coached together at the Giants from 1988-1990, advancing to the playoffs twice in three years and winning Super Bowl XXV to conclude the 1990 season. Belichick was the defensive coordinator and secondary coach, and Coughlin coached the wide receivers.
- Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears coached the wide receivers at Syracuse when Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone played on the offensive line for the Orange.
- Patriots DL Alan Branch was teammates with Jaguars DL Calais Campbell for three seasons (2008-10) at Arizona. Together they helped the Cardinals to consecutive playoff appearances in 2008 and 2009, including an NFC Championship victory and trip to Super Bowl XLIII.
- Patriots LB David Harris was coached by Jaguars linebackers coach Mark Collins at the New York Jets from 2014-15. He was also Jets teammates with Jaguars FB Tommy Bohanon (2013-15) and RB Chris Ivory from 2013-15.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played with Jaguars CB A.J. Buoye for Houston in 2015.
- Jaguars defensive coordinator Todd Wash was the defensive line coach for the Seahawks when Patriots DL Alan Branch played at Seattle in 2011-12. During that time, the unit ranked sixth in the NFL in yards per game (319.2), third in fewest points allowed (17.5), first in opponents passer rating (73.2) and fifth in takeaways (62).
- Doug Marrone was the head coach of the Bills from 2013-14 when Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore, WR Chris Hogan and DL Alan Branch (2013 only) played at Buffalo. Several members of the Jacksonville staff also coached for the Bills in recent years, including offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, assistant defensive line coach Jason Rebrovich, assistant offensive line coach Tony Sparano, Jr., and running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley, when current Patriots WR Chris Hogan, RB Mike Gillislee, Gilmore and Branch had stints at Buffalo.
- Additionally, Gillislee and Gilmore played with Jaguars DE Lerentee McCray at Buffalo in 2016.
- Patriots RB Dion Lewis and QB Brian Hoyer played with Jaguars S Tashaun Gipson at Cleveland from 2013-14, and Patriots CB Johnson Bademosi was Browns teammates with Gipson from 2012-15.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES Read
- Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels and director of player personnel Nick Caserio were college teammates with Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell at John Carroll University.
- Patriots WR Matthew Slater played with Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis at UCLA from 2004-05.
- Both Patriots DL Alan Branch and LB David Harris were teammates with Jaguars QB Chad Henne at Michigan from 2004-06. Jaguars linebackers coach Mark Collins was also an assistant coach for the Wolverines during that time.
- Patriots C David Andrews was teammates with Jaguars DT Abry Jones at Georgia from 2011-12.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore played with Jaguars OL A.J. Cann at South Carolina from 2010-11.
- Patriots RB Mike Gillislee played with Jaguars DE Dante Fowler, Jr. at Florida for one year (2012) and Jaguars DE Lerentee McCray from 2009-12.
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett was teammates with Jaguars WR Allen Hurns and OL Brandon Linder at Miami from 2011-13. Dorsett and Hurns each rank in the Top 10 in nearly every receiving category in Miami annals and remain tied at eighth overall in school history with 121 career receptions a piece.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen was teammates with Jaguars OL Tyler Shatley at Clemson from 2009-11. Jaguars defensive line coach Marion Hobby was also an assistant defensive coach when Allen played for the Tigers.
- Patriots G Ted Karras attended Illinois, where he played with Jaguars DE Dawuane Smoot and DE Carroll Phillips.
- Patriots DL Geneo Grissom played with Jaguars CB Aaron Colvin at Oklahoma from 2011-13.
- Jaguars RB Corey Grant played at Alabama for one year (2010) when Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge was a football analyst and special teams assistant with the Crimson Tide. Grant also played with Patriots DBs Jonathan Jones and Brandon King from 2012-14 when he transferred to Auburn to finish his collegiate career.
- Patriots RB James White played with Jaguars P Brad Nortman at Wisconsin in 2010-11.
- Patriots RB Brandon Bolden with teammates with Jaguars OL Jermey Parnell at Mississippi from 2008-09
- Patriots WR Matthew Slater played at UCLA when Jaguars defensive assistant Mike Rutenberg was a defensive graduate assistant for the Bruins.
Embed Code #1431 (Taboola Below Article Thumb)