A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and Indianapolis Colts.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Colts T Anthony Castonzo played for Boston College and set a school record with 54 career starts on the offensive line.
- Colts linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi is from Everett, Mass. and played linebacker at Amherst College. He also was the assistant secondary coach at Harvard from 2008-10.
- Indianapolis offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo is from Lexington, Mass., and coached at Boston College, Boston University and Connecticut.
- Colts director of sports performance Rusty Jones is from Berwick, Maine and attended Springfield College.
- Indianapolis assistant strength and conditioning coach Doug McKenney is from Dover, N.H., and attended Springfield College.
- Patriots OL Ted Karras is from Indianapolis and his grandfather, Ted, played at Indiana before playing professionally for the Bears.
- New England signed Colts K Adam Vinatieri in 1996 and he played for the team until 2005 en route to winning three Super Bowls. Vinatieri made 263 field goals and 367 extra points over 160 games.
- The Patriots drafted Colts QB Jacoby Brissett in the third round (91st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft and played in New England for one season before being traded in exchange for Phillip Dorsett. He played in three games and completed 34 passes for 400 yards and rushed for one score.
- Colts DE Jabaal Sheard signed with the Patriots as an unrestricted free agent and played for New England from 2015-16, appearing in 28 games and notching 48 tackles and 13 sacks.
- Colts CB Kenny Moore II signed with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent and went through 2017 training camp with the team before being released in final cut-downs.
- Indianapolis offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo coached the offensive line in New England from 2014-15.
- Colts assistant special teams coach Frank Ross worked for the Patriots as a scouting assistant (2011-12), scout (2015) and a pro scout (2016-17) before joining the Colts this season.
- Colts special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone played for the Patriots from 2005-08 and later was an assistant special teams coach in New England from 2015-17.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen played for the Colts from 2012-16 and totaled 126 receptions for 1,451 yards and 19 scores.
- New England WR Phillip Dorsett played in Indianapolis from 2015- 16 and recorded 51 catches for 753 yards and three touchdowns.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played in 11 games for the Colts from 2012-13, notching 15 tackles and one sack.
- Patriots DE John Simon played for the Colts in 2017, recording 42 tackles, three sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown in nine games.
- Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia coached the offensive line for the Colts from 1989-90.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Colts head coach Frank Reich was the wide receivers coach in Arizona while Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played for the Cardinals in 2012.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played for the Chargers when Colts head coach Frank Reich was the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator and offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni was the offensive control and quarterbacks coach from 2013-14.
- Colts defensive backs/cornerbacks coach Jonathan Gannon was a scout in St. Louis when Patriots offensive coordinator/ quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels and defensive line coach Brendan Daly worked in the same roles for the Rams.
- Colts TE Eric Ebron teamed up with Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy and OL LaAdrian Waddle for Detroit. Colts assistant offensive line coach Bobby Johnson was a tight ends and assistant offensive line coach for Detroit while Waddle and Van Noy played for the Lions. Finally, Colts defensive backs/safeties coach Alan Williams worked in the same role with Detroit with Waddle and Van Noy.
- Patriots DE Adrian Clayborn played for Tampa Bay in 2014 when Colts linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi was the defensive control coach and defensive line coach Mike Phair was the assistant defensive line coach for the Buccaneers.
- Patriots WR Josh Gordon played with Colts special teams coordinator Bubba Ventrone in 2012 when Ventrone was a player for Cleveland.
- Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played for Oakland with Colts DT/DE Denico Autry and DT Jihad Ward in 2017. Colts assistant offensive line coach Bobby Johnson was the tight ends coach for the Raiders at the time.
- Colts defensive backs/cornerbacks coach Jonathan Gannon was the assistant defensive backs/quality control coach for Minnesota when Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played for the Vikings. Colts defensive backs/safeties coach Alan Williams was the defensive coordinator for Minnesota with Patterson in 2013.
- Colts CB Pierre Desir spent time in Cleveland with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer, DL Danny Shelton and WR Josh Gordon.
- Colts DE Jabaal Sheard played for Cleveland with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer and WR Josh Gordon.
- Colts LB Najee Goode played with Patriots DE Adrian Clayborn for Tampa Bay in 2012 and with Patriots DB Eric Rowe for Philadelphia in 2015.
- Colts wide receivers coach Kevin Patullo was the offensive quality control/assistant wide receivers coach at Buffalo in 2012 when Patriots WR Chris Hogan and CB Stephon Gilmore played for the Bills.
- Colts DT Al Woods played with Patriots DB Jason McCourty and OL Brian Schwenke for Tennessee from 2014-16. Colts defensive backs/cornerbacks coach Jonathan Gannon coached McCourty and Schwenke in Tennessee as a defensive assistant/quality control coach. Finally, Colts wide receivers coach Kevin Patullo was the assistant wide receivers coach for the Titans in 2014.
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played for San Francisco when Colts running backs coach Tom Rathman worked in the same role for the 49ers from 2015-16. Brown also played with Colts RB Jeremy McNichols for the 49ers.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played for Chicago when Colts director of sports performance Rusty Jones was the director of physical development for the Bears.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer p and DE John Simon layed with Colts S Corey Moore for Houston in 2015.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played with Colts DT Al Woods for the Steelers in Weeks 12-13 of 2012.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Patriots LB Elandon Roberts played on the Houston defense with Colts LB Matthew Adams from 2014-15.
- Patriots OL Joe Thuney played at N.C. State with Colts QB Jacoby Brissett from 2013-15 and RB Nyheim Hines in 2015.
- Patriots OL LaAdrian Waddle played on the Texas Tech offensive line with Colts G/T Le'Raven Clark in 2012.
- Colts S Corey Moore played with Patriots OL David Andrews (2011-14) and RB Sony Michel (2014) on Georgia.
- Patriots DL Malcom Brown teamed up with Colts WR Marcus Johnson and DT Hassan Ridgeway for Texas from 2012-14.
- Colts CB Quincy Wilson played for Florida with Patriots OL Trent Brown and DB J.C. Jackson in 2014.
- Patriots CB Cyrus Jones played with Colts C Ryan Kelly on Alabama and they won the 2015 national title together.
- Patriots OL Shaq Mason played with Colts CB Chris Milton at Georgia Tech from 2011-14.
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett played with Colts DE Al-Quadin Muhammad at Miami in 2013.
- Colts G Braden Smith played for Auburn with Patriots LB Brandon King (2014) and DB Jonathan Jones (2014-15).
- Patriots OL Ted Karras played with Colts DT Jihad Ward and DE Carroll Phillips on Illinois from 2014-15 while Colts defensive line coach Mike Phair was the co-defensive coordinator and defensive line coach.
- Patriots coaching assistant DeMarcus Covington was a defensive graduate assistant at Mississippi with Colts RB Jordan Wilkins from 2013-14.