A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Buffalo Bills.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Bills G Vladimir Ducasse, who spent the early part of his life in Haiti, moved to Stamford, Conn., at the age of 14. Shortly after, he began his football career playing for Stamford High School and went on to earn a scholarship at the University of Massachusetts, where he was a Division I-AA All-American.
- Bills K Stephen Hauschka is from Needham, Mass., and began his collegiate career at Middlebury College as a soccer and lacrosse player. He did not play a snap of football until he tried out for the team entering his junior year when he beat out the starting kicker for the job and began his career as a football player.
- Bills defensive assistant Jim Salgado had coaching stints Western Connecticut (1995), Boston University (1996-97) and Northeastern (2000-01, 2004).
- Buffalo LB Julian Stanford is from Bloomfield, Conn. and attended Bloomfield High School.
- Bills defensive backs coach John Butler was special teams coordinator/linebackers coach at Harvard from 2003-06.
- Buffalo assistant offensive line coach Andrew Dees coached at UMass as the running backs coach and recruiting coordinator in 2011.
WESTERN NEW YORK TIES
- Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski grew up in Williamsville, N.Y., and attended Williamsville North High School for three years before moving to Pittsburgh for his senior year.
- Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll worked on the Patriots coaching staff for 11 seasons and won five rings in New England. In his first stint with the team from 2000-06, he worked as a defensive assistant (2000-01) and wide receivers coach (2002-06). He also coached tight ends for the Patriots from 2013-16, helping Rob Gronkowksi win All-Pro Honors in 2014 and 2015.
- Bills T Conor McDermott was drafted by the Patriots in the sixth round of the 2017 NFL Draft. He spent the offseason and training camp at New England before being waived during roster cut downs.
- Buffalo P Corey Bojorquez signed with the Patriots as an undrafted free agent and spent the 2018 preseason with the team.
- Bills CB Ryan Lewis spent the 2017 season on the Patriots practice squad and played for the team in the 2018 preseason before being released in final roster cuts.
- The Patriots acquired Bills G Ryan Groy from the Bears in 2015 and he played for New England that preseason.
- Patriots WR Chris Hogan played for the Bills from 2012-15. Over his three seasons at Buffalo, he played in 48 games with six starts and tallied 87 receptions for 959 yards and six touchdowns.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore was drafted by the Bills in the first round (10th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft. In his five seasons with the team, he started 66 of 68 games played and accumulated 198 total tackles, 14 interceptions and 68 passes defensed.
- Patriots LB Ramon Humber played for Buffalo from 2016- 18 before being released and joining the Patriots. As a Bill, Humber played in 38 games and recorded one sack and 97 total tackles.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy was Ravens teammates with Bills G Vladimir Ducasse in 2016. During Guy’s tenure at Baltimore, Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, offensive line/ running game coordinator Juan Castillo and defensive quality control coach John Egorugwu were also on the Ravens coaching staff.
- Buffalo defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was a defensive coordinator and assistant head coach at Minnesota when Patriots wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea was an offensive assistant/ wide receivers coach and defensive line coach Brendan Daly was a defensive assistant/defensive line coach from 2007-08. Frazier was also head coach for the Vikings in 2013 when Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played at Minnesota and Daly coached the defensive line.
- Patriots DE Adrian Clayborn played at Tampa Bay when Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier worked in the same role for the Buccaneers in 2014.
- Patriots director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler worked in the scouting department at Denver when Bills S Rafael Bush played for the Broncos in 2011.
- Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy played at Detroit with Bills S Rafael Bush and TE Logan Thomas in 2016.
- Bills K Stephen Hauschka played for the Broncos in 2010 when Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks Josh McDaniels was the head coach and director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler worked in the scouting department at Denver.
- Bills S Jordan Poyer played with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer and DL Danny Shelton at Cleveland. Bills safeties coach Bobby Babich was also an assistant coach on the Browns’ defensive staff during that time and coached Patriots WR Josh Gordon.
- Bills wide receivers coach Terry Robiskie was offensive coordinator at Tennessee in 2016 when Patriots DB Jason McCourty played for the Titans.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played with Bills T/G Jeremiah Sirles on the Chargers in 2014.
- New England DE Adrian Clayborn played with Bills FB Patrick DiMarco at Atlanta from 2015-16. Bills wide receivers coach Terry Robiskie was assistant head coach and wide receivers coach for the Falcons at the time.
- Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played with Bills G Vladimir Ducasse at Minnesota in 2014.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen and DL Lawrence Guy were with the Colts when Bills DE Jerry Hughes played at Indianapolis in 2012.
- Bills defensive backs coach John Butler coached the Houston secondary when Patriots QB Brian Hoyer and DE John Simon played for the Texans. Simon also played with Bills CB Denzel Rice at Houston in 2016.
- Bills LB Julian Stanford played with Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy and OL LaAdrian Waddle at Detroit.
- Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy played with Bills TE Khari Lee at Detroit in 2016.
- Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played on the Vikings offense with Bills T/G Jeremiah Sirles from 2015-16.
- Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier was the defensive coordinator and later the head coach at Minnesota and worked with Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly (2007-08, 2012-13) and wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea (2007-08).
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played at San Diego from 2013- 14 when Bills assistant offensive line coach Andrew Dees worked in the same role for the Chargers.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels worked as a graduate assistant at Michigan State in 1999 while Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll worked in the same role for the Spartans.
- Patriots WR Julian Edelman played at Kent State when Bills safeties coach Bobby Babich was a graduate assistant/cornerbacks coach in 2006.
- Patriots TE Jacob Hollister played for Wyoming with Bills QB Josh Allen (2015-16) and DE Eddie Yarbrough (2014-15).
- Bills TE Isaiah McKenzie played for Georgia with Patriots C David Andrews (2014) and RB Sony Michel (2014-16).
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore and Bills FB Patrick DiMarco played together at South Carolina from 2009-10.
- Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson shared the field with Bills TE Jason Croom at Tennessee in 2012.
- Bills defensive backs coach John Butler was special teams coordinator/outside linebackers coach at South Carolina in 2011 when Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore played for the Gamecocks.
- New England P Ryan Allen played with Buffalo S Jordan Poyer at Oregon State in 2009.
- Patriots OL Marcus Cannon played with Bills DE Jerry Hughes at TCU from 2008-09.
- Bills G Ryan Groy blocked for Patriots RB James White at Wisconsin from 2010-13. Patriots consultant to the head coach Bret Bielema was head coach of the Badgers at the time.
- Patriots OL Joe Thuney played for at N.C. State while Bills offensive assistant Shea Tierney was an offensive graduate assistant for the Wolfpack at the time.
- Patriots P Ryan Allen and Bills T Jordan Mills were teammates at Louisiana Tech from 2010-12.
- Patriots tight ends coach Nick Caley was the secondary coach and Bills assistant special teams coach Matthew Smiley was the special teams coordinator at Eastern Illinois in 2012.
- Bills S Micah Hyde played with Patriots DE Adrian Clayborn at Iowa.
- Patriots DL Adam Butler played for Vanderbilt in 2014 when Bills offensive quality control/assistant quarterbacks coach Marc Lubick coached the wide receivers.