Here's a quick look at some important dates on the Patriots / NFL calendar. All dates are subject to change.
- At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a one-year contract with his prior club for the 2023 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club's last regular season game.
- Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies (defined as a player who has never signed a player contract with an NFL club in a prior League Year) beginning seven days prior to the club's earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players. A club's preseason training camp will be deemed to have officially opened on the designated reporting date for all rookies.
- Clubs may require first-year players (defined as a player who signed a player contract with any NFL club in a prior League Year, but who does not have a pension-credited season) to report on the designated reporting date for all rookies, or at any time thereafter, including, but not limited to, the designated reporting date for veteran quarterbacks and injured players, or the designated reporting date for all other veteran players.
- Veteran quarterbacks and "injured players" (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may be required to report to the club's preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies.
- Beginning on the date that the first training camp opens for rookies through the last business day prior to the Super Bowl, all tryouts and visits will be reported to clubs on the Personnel Notice.
- At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.
- At 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 24 (or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp [July 19 in 2023], whichever is later) signing Period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a "UFA Tender" was made by Prior Club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, Prior Club has exclusive negotiating rights.
- Patriots open Training Camp to the public.
- Hall of Fame Game, New York Jets vs. Cleveland Browns, Canton, OH
- If a drafted rookie has not signed with his club by this date, he cannot be traded to any other club in 2023 and may sign a player contract only with the drafting club until the day of the Draft in the 2024 League Year.
- First Preseason Weekend.
- Patriots open the Preseason on Thursday, August 10 against the Houston Texans.
- Second Preseason Weekend
- Third Preseason Weekend
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
- Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
- Players who are on the Reserve List or Exempt List and are not counting against the 90-player limit will begin to count against the 90-player limit.
- Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.
- Upon receipt of the subsequent Personnel Notice, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 16 players. Clubs participating in the International Player Development Program may sign one additional international player to a practice player contract. No club, including the player's prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a practice player contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player's prior NFL player contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
- Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, any player placed on Reserve/Injured, Reserve/Non- Football Injury or Illness, or Practice Squad; Injured during the regular season or postseason, may be designated for return later in the season, subject to the applicable procedures.
- Final day of preseason training camp for all clubs, as defined in CBA Article 23, Section 10.
- In accordance with the Personnel (Injury) Report Policy, each club is required to file a Practice Report with the NFL Communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time, (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday for a regular season Monday game; Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for a Thursday game; Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a Friday game; Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a Saturday game; and Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday for a Sunday game.
- Each club must also file a weekly regular season Game Status Report with the NFL Communications department by 4:00 p.m., New York time (or as soon as possible after the completion of practice) on Wednesday for a Thursday game, Thursday for a Friday or Saturday game, Friday for a Sunday game, and Saturday for a Monday game. An update must be reported if there is any change in a player's condition after the initial Game Status Report is filed.
September 7, 10-11
- Kickoff Weekend
- Patriots open regular season hosting the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday,September 10
September 29, October 2-3
- Beginning on the day after a club's fourth regular season game (including any bye week), it is permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform and Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness (if the player failed his preseason physical due to a non- football injury or illness) for a period not to exceed 21 days. Players may be activated during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period.
- NFL International Game at Wembley Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
- NFL International Game at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Buffalo Bills
- NFL International Game at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (London, United Kingdom) Baltimore Ravens vs. Tennessee Titans
- Fall League Meeting in New York
- 2023 Patriots Hall of Fame induction ceremonies for Mike Vrabel and Dante Scarnecchia
- All trading ends for 2023 at 4:00 p.m., New York time.
- Players with at least four previous pension-credited seasons are subject to the waiver system for the remainder of the regular season and postseason.
- NFL International Game at Frankfurt Stadium (Frankfurt, Germany) Miami Dolphins vs. Kansas City Chiefs
- NFL International Game at Frankfurt Stadium (Frankfurt, Germany) Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
- At 4:00 p.m., New York time, signing period ends for Franchise Players who are eligible to receive offer sheets.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unsigned Franchise and Transition Players, including Franchise Players who were eligible to receive offer sheets until this date. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for clubs to sign their unrestricted free agents to whom the "UFA Tender" was made. If still unsigned after this date, such players are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.
- Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for Clubs to sign their restricted free agents, including those to whom the "June 1 Tender" was made. If such players remain unsigned after this date, they are prohibited from playing in NFL in 2023.
- Special League Meeting/Front Office Accelerator, Irving, TX
- NFL Week 18
- Clubs may begin signing free agent players for the 2024 season.
- Earliest permissible date for clubs to renegotiate or extend the rookie contract of a drafted rookie who was selected in any round of the 2021 NFL Draft or any undrafted rookie who signed in 2022. Any permissible renegotiated or extended player contract will not be considered a rookie contract, and will not be subject to the rules that limit rookie contracts.
- Clubs may exercise fifth-year options for players selected in the first round of the 2021 NFL Draft.
- Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Wednesday following the final regular season weekend, rosters are frozen for clubs participating in the postseason with limited exceptions.
- Wild Card Playoff Games
- Special Eligibility Deadline. Deadline for college players who are underclassmen to apply for Special Eligibility. A list of underclassmen who have been approved for entry into the 2024 NFL Draft will be sent to clubs on January 19.
- Divisional Playoff Games
- AFC and NFC Championship Games
- Pro Bowl Games
- Super Bowl LVIII, Allegiant Stadium, Las Vegas
- Beginning this date through 4:00 p.m., New York time on March 5, clubs may designate Franchise or Transition Players.
February 27 – March 4
- NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis
All dates and times are subject to change.