Official website of the New England Patriots

Colts upset with NFL mistake on Glenn

INDIANAPOLIS (Dec. 21, 2005) -- Tony Dungy started by congratulating the Indianapolis Colts chosen to the Pro Bowl. Several hours later, he had the grim task of retracting left tackle Tarik Glenn's name from that list.

The confusing saga overshadowed what should have been a celebration: Seven Colts were voted to the Pro Bowl, the most of any NFL team and the franchise's best showing since it sent eight players in 1971. Three defensive players also made the roster, the Colts' highest total since '71.

But it was the recount that angered Dungy.

"I'm happy with the guys who made it," Dungy said after practice. "And I'm a league guy, but this is a bad, bad situation. They need to tell the whole story and it's not good."

As it is, the Colts still could hold a team meeting in Hawaii.

The usual suspects -- two-time MVP Peyton Manning, two-time rushing champ Edgerrin James, record-setting receiver Marvin Harrison and Dwight Freeney -- all made it. They joined three newcomers -- center Jeff Saturday, linebacker Cato June and safety Bob Sanders.

Receiver Reggie Wayne and Glenn were first alternates. So there could be a lot of Colts in Honolulu, especially since Saturday indicated he might bring his linemates with him.

"They'll be well taken care of, you can count on that," said Saturday, who entered the league as an undrafted free agent.

Fans, coaches and opposing players rewarded the Colts for being the fourth team in NFL history to start 13-0.

Manning was selected for the sixth time, Harrison the seventh time. James earned his fourth Pro Bowl selection and Freeney, who broke the franchise record for sacks Dec. 18 in a loss to San Diego, made it for the third consecutive year.

But the mistake led to a lot of outrage.

According to the Colts, the NFL's Pro Bowl list included Glenn's name as one of three AFC tackles selected for the Feb. 12 game in Honolulu. Then the league called back to inform the Colts there was a tabulating mistake.

Dungy asked the league to look into the matter, and when players strolled into the locker room at midday, most still thought Glenn was headed to Hawaii. Manning and Saturday both talked about the eight players headed to Hawaii, and Glenn even thanked his peers for voting him into the Pro Bowl for the first time. He played last year in Honolulu after being a first alternate.

"It's an honor," Glenn said. "You like to get to the point where your peers recognize you for playing well."

At 2 p.m., the league again contacted the Colts and notified them Glenn was, indeed, a first alternate behind Cincinnati's Willie Anderson, Baltimore's Jonathan Ogden and Kansas City's Willie Roaf.

League spokesman Steve Alic explained there was a computer error, a possible first in league balloting.

"Part of the vote was tabulated incorrectly and when the error was fixed, we learned that Tarik Glenn was a first alternate," he said. "We discovered the votes had not been tabulated correctly."

Glenn walked off the practice field with a glum expression on his face. Had he stayed on the roster, the Colts would have tied a franchise record with eight Pro Bowl selections, originally set in 1958, then matched in 1964 and 1971.

"To have eight players going is impressive," Manning said before learning of the mistake. "For some guys, it's their first time, and I think we could have had some more go like Reggie."

How many of the Pro Bowl players will play in the final two regular-season games? Dungy still is not sure.

Manning, who never has missed a start in eight seasons, said he intends to play this week at Seattle after contending his knee was never swollen. Team president Bill Polian announced the injury on his weekly radio show Monday night.

Harrison missed practice so he could be fitted for a hand apparatus after breaking a bone Dec. 18. Starting right tackle Ryan Diem will miss the rest of the regular season after spraining a knee ligament in the loss to the Chargers.

Defensively, the Colts could be without June (sports hernia, knee and ankle), Sanders (back), Mathis (foot), defensive tackle Corey Simon (foot) and Reagor (knee). Freeney, who has a sprained arch in his right foot, still wants to play.

But Dungy thought the most troubling issue was the NFL's mistake.

"We announced it this morning after we got the list from the NFL," Dungy said. "What happened after that, you'll have to ask them. I told him just now. He took it like he would, but the less I say, the better. You'll have to ask the league."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.
Advertising