A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Miami Dolphins.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Dolphins LB Kiko Alonso was born in Newton, Mass.
- Dolphins general manager Chris Grieris a native of Holliston, Mass., and attended the University of Massachusetts-Amherst, where he played football for two seasons.
- Miami associate head coach/special teams coordinator Darren Rizzi played at the University of Rhode Island from 1988-91 and later returned to the school to coach, in addition to stints at New Haven and Northeastern.
- Both Dolphins offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen and head strength and conditioning coach *Dave Puloka have ties to Holy Cross. Christensen was a member of the coaching staff from 1989-90 and Puloka played for the Crusaders from 1997-2000.
- Dolphins defensive coordinator **Matt Burke *coached at both Boston College (2000-02) and Harvard (2003) before moving to the NFL ranks.
- Dolphins defensive backs coach* Lo Anarumo* was the assistant head coach/defensive backs/special teams at Harvard from 1995-2000.
- Miami tight ends coach Shane Day coached the quarterbacks at Connecticut from 2012-13.
- Dolphins assistant wide receivers coach Ben Johnson worked at Boston College from 2009-11.
- Miami defensive quality control coach* Rusy McKinney* coached at Bentley College in Waltham, Mass. for five seasons and also spent time working at St. Anselm College in Manchester, N.H.
SOUTH FLORIDA TIES
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett and Patriots RB James White are from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and were teammates together at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. Dorsett went on to attend the University of Miami from 2011-14, where he ended his career ranked eighth in school history in receptions (121), receiving yards (2,132) and touchdowns (17).
- In 2014, Patriots tight ends coach Nick Caleywas the secondary coach at Florida Atlantic University, located in Boca Raton, Fla.
- Miami TE A.J. Derbywas originally selected by the New England Patriots in the sixth round (202nd overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft. He spent his rookie season on the Patriots Injured/Reserve list before appearing in four games for New England in the beginning of 2016.
- Dolphins C/G **Ted Larsen *was drafted by the Patriots in the seventh round (205th overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft and released prior to the start of the regulsr season.
- Dolphins general manager Chris Grier began his NFL career as an intern for the Patriots in 1994. The following year, he became a regional scout for the team and served in that capacity until joining the Dolphins in 2000. His father,* Bbby Grier*, was the vice president of player personnel for the Patriots from 1995-1999.
- Miami wide receivers coach Shawn Jefferson played for the Patriots from 1996-99 and started 61 of 63 games played at New England.
- Patriots RB Mike Gillislee played for the Dolphins in 2013 and was on injured reserve during the 2014 season.
- Patriots LB Trevor Reilly spent Weeks 16-17 and the postseason on the Dolphins active roster after spending the majority of the 2016 season on the Patriots practice squad.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Dolphins head coach Adam Gase was hired by Patriots offensive coordinator/ quarterbacksJosh McDaniels in 2009 when McDaniels took over head coaching duties in Denver. Gase coached the Broncos wide receivers from 2009-10 under McDaniels' tutelage.
- Patriots DB Eric Rowe was teammates with Dolphins LB *Kiko Alonso *and K *Cody Parkey *at Philadelphia in 2015.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore, WR Chris Hogan, DL Alan Branch and Dolphins LB Kiko Alonso *layed together at Buffalo in 2013. Gilmore, Hogan and Patriots RB Mike Gillislee also played with Dolphins TE *Marqueis Gray and T Sam Young at Buffalo.
- Patriots TE Martellus Bennett played with Dolphins QB* JayCutler* and G/T Jermon Bushrod *atChicago from 2013-15, along with RB Senorise Perry in 2014. Additionally, Dolphins head coach *Adam Gase *wasthe offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach *Bo Hardegree was an offensive assistant for the Bears in 2015. Cutler and Dolphins QB David Fales ashared the Bears' quarterback room with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer in 2016, and Dolphins C/G *Ted Larsen *alsoplayed at Chicago that year.
- Dolphins offensive coordinator *Clyde Christensen *was te quarterbacks coach at the Colts from 2012-15, during with time Patriots RB Dion Lewis, TE Dwayne Allen, WR Phillip Dorsett and DL Lawrence Guy played at Indianapolis.
- Dolphins defensive coordinator *Matt Burke *was Pariots LB Marquis Flowers' position coach at Cincinnati from 2014-15.
- Patriots WR Brandin Cooks and Dolphins WR Kenny Stills were teammates at New Orleans in 2014. Cooks and Dolphins LB Stephone Anthony also played together for the Saints in 2015-16.
- Patriots RB Dion Lewis, QB Brian Hoyer and CB Johnson Bademosi were teammates with Dolphins TE Marqueis Gray at Cleveland in 2013.
- Dolphins DT* NdamukongSuh* was teammates with Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy and OL LaAdrian Waddle at Detroit in 2014.
- Patriots LB Nicholas Grigsby played with Dolphins S T.J. McDonald at the Los Angeles Rams in 2016.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Dolphins C Mike Pouncey and Patriots RB Mike Gillislee played together at Florida from 2009-10.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen played with Dolphins DEAndre Branchand LB **Stephone Anthony *at Clemson.
- Patriots DB Eric Rowe and LB Trevor Reilly played with Dolphins G* Isac Asiata* at Utah.
- Patriots DB Duron Harmon played with Dolphins WR Leonte Carroo at Rutgers in 2012.
- Patriots OL LaAdrian Waddle and Dolphins WR *Jakeem Grant *wre teammates together at Texas Tech in 2012.
- Dolphins K Cody Parkey was a member of the Auburn Tigers' squad from 2012-13 with Patriots DBs Jonathan Jones and Brandon King.
- Patriots RB Rex Burkhead played with Dolphins DT Ndamukong Suh in 2009 at Nebraska. Burkhead and Dolphins T* ZachSterup *wee also Huskers teammates in 2012.
- Patriots CB Johnson Bademosi, OL Cameron Fleming and DB Jordan Richards played with Dolphins WR *Michael Thomas *at Sanford.
- Dolphins TE *A.J. Derby *was cllege teammates with Patriots DL Trey Flowers and Deatrich Wise, Jr., at Arkansas from 2013-14.
- Patriots WR Matthew Slater and Dolphins CB *Alterraun Verner *playedtogether at UCLA from 2006-07.
- When Patriots DB Devin McCourty played at Rutgers from 2006-07, Dolphins associate head coach/special teams coordinator *Darren Rizzi *directe the special teams units and the linebackers for the Scarlet Knights.
- Patriots running backs coach* Ivan Fearsand Dolpins defensive backs coach Lou Anamuro were on the coaching staff at Syracuse in 1990.
- Dolphins assistant defensive backs coach Daronte Jones was the cornerbacks coach at UCLA in 2010 when Patriots LB Cassius Marsh was a freshman on the Bruins' squad.