We take a look back at Julian Edelman's 2016 season and offer our predictions for 2017.
2016 Honors & Awards: AFC Offensive Player of the Week (Wk. 17)
2016 Regular Season Stats:98 receptions for 1,106 yards and three touchdowns; 57 rushing yards on 12 attempts
Julian Edelman set a number of personal career highs in 2016 to go along with both franchise and NFL record marks:
- Had his second career 1,000-yard receiving season after setting a single-season best with 1,106 yards and joins Wes Welker (5), Rob Gronkowski (3), Randy Moss (3), Stanley Morgan (3) and Terry Glenn (2) as the only Patriots players with at least two 1,000-yard seasons.
- Scored on a 77-yard touchdown in the third quarter of the Week 17 victory at Miami to mark a career long and his fourth career touchdown reception of 50 or more yards. Also set a single-game career high in receiving yards with a 151-yard performance at Miami.
- Caught five passes for 87 yards, including a miraculous bobbling catch between three defenders on the game-tying drive at the end of regulation vs. Atlanta in Super Bowl LI to bring his career postseason reception total to 89, good for third all-time in NFL postseason history.
- Led the Patriots or was tied for the lead in single game receptions in 12 out of the 16 regular season contests in 2016.
- Became the Patriots all-time leader in postseason receptions after recording nine catches in the Patriots AFC Championship victory vs. Pittsburgh. Also moved past Deion Branch with a 41-yard reception in the first quarter for the most receiving yards in Patriots postseason history.
Check out the best photos of Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman from the 2016 NFL season.
Belichick on Edelman: "Julian has great concentration. He is a tremendous competitor. As good of a competitor as anyone that I have coached. This guy has played slot defensive back for us, returns kicks, covers kicks, blocks, catches tough passes, runs the ball for us on sweeps and stuff like that. He does whatever it takes. He made a tremendous play [with his bobbling catch in double coverage during Super Bowl LI]. It is not the first one he has made, but that was obviously a big one."
Edelman in 2017: Edelman appeared in every game for the first time in his career and continues to be one of the most productive slot receivers in football. His rapport with Brady makes them one of the most prolific duos in the league and his competitiveness will keep him at the top of the quarterback's list of targets moving forward.