Quarterbacks Tom Brady of the New England Patriots, J.P. Losman of the Buffalo Bills and Carson Palmer of the Cincinnati Bengals are the finalists for FedEx Express NFL Player of the Week honors for games played on November 19-20, while running backs Frank Gore of the San Francisco 49ers, Larry Johnson of the Kansas City Chiefs and La Dainian Tomlinson of the San Diego Chargers are the finalists for FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week honors, the NFL announced today.
Fans can vote for one player in each category on NFL.com from 9am EST on Tuesday through 12pm EST on Wednesday to determine the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week. The winners will be announced Wednesday afternoon on NFL.com.
In addition, NFL fans may cast their votes for the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week using Sprint or Nextel wireless service - an opportunity available only to Sprint customers. This fast, convenient voting method involves texting the word FEDEX to short code 7777. Sprint customers will then receive an interactive text message that links fans to the ballot with the six finalists each week. Data and text messaging rates may apply.
Fans will be voting for more than their favorite player. For the third season in a row, the weekly FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week Awards are a win for the local community. Along with the award, FedEx will donate $5,000 every week to the local children's hospital in each winning market. The children's hospitals in the two season-long winner's markets, announced at this year's Super Bowl, will be awarded $25,000 each. That means that FedEx will deliver nearly $250,000 to local children's hospitals around the country in recognition of the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week Award winners.
A closer look at the FedEx Express NFL Player of the Week finalists:
- New England's TOM BRADY completed 20 of 31 passes for 244 yards, four touchdowns and a passer rating of 130.9 in the Patriots' 35-0 victory over the Green Bay Packers. Brady completed first-half touchdown passes of two and 54 yards, and followed up with touchdown passes of eight and 19 yards in the second half.
- Buffalo's J.P. LOSMAN threw three touchdown passes, completing 26 of 38 attempts for 340 yards and a 111.7 passer rating in the Bills' 24-21 victory over the Houston Texans. On Buffalo's first two possessions, Losman threw consecutive 83-yard touchdown passes to Lee Evans. Losman added a 15-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown.
- Cincinnati's CARSON PALMER threw for 275 yards, completing 14 of 22 attempts with three touchdown passes and a passer rating of 127.8 in the Bengals' 31-16 victory over the New Orleans Saints. Palmer's touchdown strikes went for four, 41 and 60 yards, all to wide receiver Chad Johnson. A closer look at the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week finalists:
- San Francisco's FRANK GORE rushed for 212 yards on 24 carries in the 49ers' 20-14 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. Gore, who had a long run of 51 yards to set up a field goal, averaged almost nine yards per carry.
- Kansas City's LARRY JOHNSON carried 31 times for 154 yards and two touchdowns in the Chiefs' 17-13 victory over the Oakland Raiders. Johnson scored on touchdown runs of one and five yards.
- San Diego's LA DAINIAN TOMLINSON carried 20 times for 105 yards and three touchdowns in the Chargers' 35-27 victory over the Denver Broncos. Tomlinson scored on runs of one, three and three yards and added a 51-yard touchdown reception. FedEx, the premier global provider of transportation, e-commerce and supply-chain management services, is the Official Delivery Service Sponsor of the NFL, Super Bowl and Pro Bowl. Through the weekly FedEx Air & Ground Awards, FedEx recognizes those NFL players who represent the same speed, precision and teamwork that their customers have come to expect from the full range of FedEx air, ground, freight and international shipping services.