A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the New York Jets.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Jets LB Kevin Pierre-Louis played for Boston College from 2010-13, totaling 360 tackles, eight sacks, 10 passes defensed and two fumble recoveries. During his senior year where he notched 108 tackles and six sacks, he earned All-ACC first-team honors.
- Jets DL Folorunso Fatukasi played collegiately at the University of Connecticut from 2013-17.
NEW YORK/NEW JERSEY TIES
- Patriots Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert Kraft graduated from Columbia University in 1963 with a degree in history and economics and was inducted into the school’s Athletics Hall of Fame in 2012.
- Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores attended Poly Prep HS in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he played running back and linebacker.
- Patriots safeties coach Steve Belichick attended Rutgers, where he walked on to the football team as a long snapper in order to prepare for his coaching career.
- Patriots DB Devin McCourty and CB Jason McCourty attended Saint Joseph’s HS in Montvale, N.J., where the twins won several all-state honors. Devin McCourty went on to play college football at Rutgers, where he started 39 of 52 games at cornerback and was an Academic All-Big East selection in 2006 and 2007. Jason McCourty also played at Rutgers, starting 33 of 43 games.
- Patriots DB Duron Harmon earned Big-East First Team honors as a junior and senior at Rutgers, where he started 27-of-50 games.
- Patriots WR Chris Hogan calls Wykoff, N.J., his hometown. He attended Ramapo High School, where he left as the school’s all-time leader in receptions, and later played one year of college football at Monmouth University located in West Long Branch, N.J.
- Jets offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Mick Lombardi was a scouting assistant and coaching assistant with the Patriots from 2011-12.
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was the assistant head coach/ secondary for the Jets from 1997-99. During his tenure at New York, Belichick was responsible for calling the team’s defensive plays and helped propel the Jets to their first division title in 1998 and advance to the AFC Championship Game that year.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was the head coach at Cleveland when Jets assistant head coach/inside linebackers Mike Caldwell played for the Browns from 1993-95.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy and LB Albert McClellan played with Jets S Terrence Brooks for the Baltimore Ravens. Jets offensive line coach/run game coordinator Rick Dennison coached the quarterbacks at Baltimore in 2014 when Guy and McClellan played for the Ravens.
- Jets S Terrence Brooks played for Philadelphia with Patriots OL Matt Tobin.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen and WR Phillip Dorsett played with Jets OL Jonotthan Harrison and DL Henry Anderson at Indianapolis. Jets special teams coordinator Brant Boyer was the assistant special teams coach for the Colts at the same time and also coached Patriots DL Lawrence Guy during his tenure at Indianapolis.
- Jets RB Isaiah Crowell played with several Patriots during his time at Cleveland, teaming up with QB Brian Hoyer (2014), WR Josh Gordon (2014, 2017) DL Danny Shelton (2015-17) and DB Jason McCourty (2017). Jets QB Josh McCown also played with Shelton on the Browns. Finally, Jets CB Buster Skrine also played for the Browns from 2011-14, sharing the field with Hoyer and Gordon. Jets defensive quality control coach Tim Atkins worked as game charter for Cleveland when Hoyer, Gordon and Shelton played for the Browns. Defensive line coach Robert Nunn worked in the same role at Cleveland in 2016, teaming up with Shelton.
- Patriots DE Adrian Clayborn played with Jets QB Josh McCown at Tampa Bay in 2014.
- Clayborn also played for Atlanta in 2017, teaming up with Jets WR Andre Roberts.
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played with Jets CB Rashard Robinson at San Francisco in 2016.
- Patriots DB Jason McCourty played for Tennessee with Jets WR Rishard Matthews (2016) and LB Avery Williamson (2014-16).
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played with Jets LB Jeremiah Attaochu for the Chargers in 2014.
- Patriots director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort and Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan were a part of Charley Casserly’s scouting staff for the expansion Houston Texans in the early 2000s.
- Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels was head coach in Denver while Jets offensive line coach/run game coordinator Rick Dennison coached the Broncos offensive line.
- Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy played with Jets WR Andre Roberts at Detroit in 2016.
- Jets LB Brandon Copeland also played for Detroit with Kyle Van Noy (2015-16) and OL LaAdrian Waddle (2015).
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore, WR Chris Hogan and LB Ramon Humber played for the Bills when Jets offensive assistant Jason Vrable was an offensive coaching assistant at Buffalo and defensive quality control coach Tim Atkins was a football operations assistant.
- Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly and wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea were on the coaching staff at Minnesota with Jets tight ends coach Jimmie Johnson from 2006-08. Daly returned to the Vikings in 2012-13, where he again worked with Johnson, as well as Jets assistant strength and conditioning coach Aaron McLaurin. Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson also played for the Vikings in 2013.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played with Jets T Kelvin Beachum and DL Steve McLendon at Pittsburgh in 2012.
- Hoyer also played for Arizona in 2012, teaming up with Jets WR Andre Roberts.
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played for San Francisco in 2015-16 when Jets offensive assistant/assistant quarterbacks coach Mick Lombardi was a defensive assistant and offensive quality control coach for the 49ers.
- Jets assistant defensive line coach La’Roi Glover worked as director of player programs for the Rams from 2010-16 while Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels worked in the same role in 2011 and defensive line coach Brendan Daly coached in the same role from 2009-11.
- Jets assistant defensive backs coach Steve Jackson was an assistant secondary coach for Detroit when Patriots OL LaAdrian Waddle played for the Lions in 2013.
- Jackson also was an assistant secondary coach at Tennessee in 2016 when Patriots CB Jason McCourty played for the Titans.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Patriots C David Andrews played with Jets LB Jordan Jenkins at Georgia from 2012-14. Jenkins also played with RB Sony Michel on the Bulldogs from 2014-15.
- Jets assistant special teams coach Jeff Hammerschmidt coached the special teams unit and defensive ends at Arizona when Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski played for the Wildcats.
- Patriots DL Adam Butler also played for the Commodores when Jets wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell was the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Vanderbilt in 2014.
- In Patriots WR Chris Hogan’s one year of college football at Monmouth, Jets TE Neal Sterling was a freshman in his redshirt year for the Hawks.
- Patriots OL Shaq Mason played at Georgia Tech with Jets LB Jeremiah Attaochu from 2011-13.
- Jets wide receivers coach Karl Dorrell was the head coach at UCLA from 2004-07 when Patriots WR Matthew Slater played for the Bruins.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen played with Jets WR Charone Peake at Clemson in 2011.
- Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge was a member of Alabama’s support staff when Jets G James Carpenter played for the Crimson Tide and they went on to win the 2009 National Championship. Patriots LB Dont’a Hightower was also a member of that title team with Judge and Carpenter.
- Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly was a graduate assistant at Maryland in 2000 when Jets defensive backs coach Dennard Wilson played safety for the Terps.
- Patriots DL Danny Shelton played with Jets WR Jermaine Kearse at Washington in 2011.
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played on the Florida offensive line with Jets OL Jonnothan Harrison in 2013. Brown, DB Duke Dawson Jr. and DB J.C. Jackson also played with Jets S Marcus Maye at Florida.
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett played on the Miami offense with Jets TE Chris Herndon in 2014.
- Patriots DB Obi Melifonwu played with Jets DL Folorunso Fatukasi for Connecticut from 2013-16 on the Husky defense.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore played with Jets T Brandon Shell at South Carolina in 2011.
- Patriots coaching assistant DeMarcus Covington was a defensive graduate assistant at Ole Miss from 2012-14 when Jets CB Derrick Jones played for the Rebels.
- Patriots DB Devin McCourty and CB Jason McCourty played at Rutgers when Jets assistant strength and conditioning coach Joe Giacobbe was a center and nose tackle on the team.
- Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly coached in the same role at Villanova in 2005 when Jets head strength and conditioning coach Justus Galac was a defensive assistant for the Wildcats.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played at Michigan State in 2008 when Jets assistant strength and conditioning coach Aaron McLaurin was a graduate assistant for the Spartans.