Official website of the New England Patriots

Mangold vows he won't hold out from Jets

Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold wants a new contract from the New York Jets. If that doesn't happen, though, he won't hold out from training camp in protest.

"It doesn't seem to me to do any good to do it, so I'll be there with bells on," Mangold said Friday on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access."

Mangold is entering the final year of a five-year, $7.47 million contract that he signed as a rookie in 2006, and he's scheduled to make $3.3 million in 2010. He hasn't missed a game since being the Jets' first-round draft pick that year, and he has been chosen to the past two Pro Bowls.

"It's disappointing right now where we're at, but it's one of those things you go through," Mangold said. "I'm professional, I've done everything the right way, and I'm going to continue to do that -- be there for my teammates and the coaches. And we'll see how it all plays out."

Jets veterans are scheduled to report to training camp Aug. 1 in Cortland, N.Y. One of them -- offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- will show up with a new six-year, $60 million contract extension that he signed earlier this month.

Cornerback Darrelle Revis and linebacker David Harris also have expressed their desire for new deals. Jets owner Woody Johnson told the New York Daily News on Monday that fans should trust that the team will use its best judgment in negotiating contracts and picking personnel.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Advertising