Randy Moss hauls in a pass during the afternoon practice session.
Who's Hot: TE David Thomas
He's been active making some impressive catches in the passing game and throwing some great blocks in the running game of late.
Who's Not: WR Terrence Nunn
After a blazing start to camp, Nunn hit a rough patch on Tuesday. While he did make another of his signature tough catches at one point, he was also barked at by his coaches for what appeared to be a wrong pass pattern on one play, seemed to get banged up on another, and couldn't hang on to a couple of other under-thrown balls.
Play of the Day: *Hoyer to Moss TD
*Rookie QB Brian Hoyerhooked up with WR Randy Mosson a deep post during team O vs. team D. Moss beat Rogers, who was playing corner most of the afternoon.
- The Patriots took to the practice field in shorts and shells (lighter, smaller shoulder pads) for their 27th and final open-to-the-public practice of the summer. The weather had cooled off significantly from the morning's walkthrough. Humidity was low and a cool breeze was a constant.
- New England added a player to the roster Tuesday afternoon. Roderick Rogers, a 6-2, 187-pound safety, was wearing jersey number 43. Predictably, the new guy was a target of the offense during many 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 plays.
- WR Wes Welker was back on the field after missing several consecutive practices and the first preseason game last Thursday. Punter Chris Hanson also saw his first action in pads since the Eagles game.
- Only nine players were not in uniform for this last session, including RB Sammy Morris, LB Paris Lenon, OL George Bussey, OL Sebastian Vollmer, TE Benjamin Watson, TE Tyson DeVree, and DL Mike Wright. No change to the NFI (WR Brandon Tate) and PUP (OL Mark LeVoir) lists.
- Nunn showed a bit of a limp after fighting for a pass in the end zone against cornerback Shawn Springs. The ball was thrown behind the two players, and Nunn saw it first, so he cut his route short to try to reach back to make the catch. He landed somewhat awkwardly and when he got up, he felt for his left knee and jogged gingerly back to the huddle. To his credit, the rookie came back later in team offense and made a nice catch deep downfield from QB Kevin O'Connell. The ball was again under-thrown, but Nunn made the proper adjustment against the newcomer, Rogers, to secure the reception.
- RB Kevin Faulkhad a rarity. He dropped a punt inside the 10 during a scout team drill. Granted, it was over his head and he made a great effort to make the catch. But it was something you just don't see every day.
- Late in practice, while the rest of the team was working on the right field, QB Tom Brady, Moss, Welker, and WR Joey Gallowaywere on the left field working on pass patterns.
- To end practice, kicker Stephen Gostkowskiwent 7-of-9 on field goal attempts from various distances, although he did nail his longest kick at the very end. It was on the far end of the field and the yard lines had faded, but it looked to be somewhere between 50 and 60 yards.
- At the start of practice, the team gathered in between the two practice fields to sing "Happy Birthday" to Adalius Thomas. The linebacker turned 32 today.