A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Los Angeles Chargers.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Chargers RB Andre Williams had a prolific career at Boston College from 2010-13, finishing with 704 carries for a school-record 3,754 yards and 28 touchdowns (third in school annals). Williams received numerous honors during his time at BC, such as the Doak WalkerAward as the nation's top running back, consensus All-America recognition and unanimous first-team All- ACC honors. He was also one of six finalists for the Heisman Trophy as a senior in 2013.
- Chargers OLB Josh Keyes also played at Boston College from 2011-14. In his four years as an Eagle, he tallied with 124 tackles and 7 1/2 sacks over 43 games.
- Chargers tight ends coach John McNulty served as the wide receivers coach at Connecticut from 1995-97.
- Chargers director of player personnel JoJo Wooden is a native of Hartford, Conn.
- Chargers President of Business Operations A.G. Spanos began his college career at Tufts University in Medford, Mass., and played on the football team for one season.
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TIES
- Patriots WR Matthew Slater grew up in Anaheim, Calif., and was a standout track athlete and two-time letter winner in football at Servite High School. He went on to play four seasons at UCLA and set school and conference records as a kick returner during his time as a Bruin.
- New England LS Joe Cardona is from El Cajon, Calif. He was a two-sport athlete at Granite Hills High School, where he lettered twice in football and four straight years in lacrosse.
- New England S Patrick Chung was born in Kingston, Jamaica, but grew up in Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. He attended Rancho Cucamonga High School, where he excelled at wide receiver and free safety.
- Patriots DE Cassius Marsh hails from Westlake Village, Calif., and attended Oaks Christian High School, followed by a four-year career at UCLA.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy played for the Chargers from 2013-14, appearing in 13 regular season games during that time.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn was the assistant head coach and running backs coach at Buffalo from 2015-16 and later took over interim head coaching responsibilities at the end of the 2016 season. During that time, Lynn coached Patriots RB Mike Gillislee (2015-16), CB Stephon Gilmore (2015- 16) and WR Chris Hogan (2015). Under Lynn's guidance in 2016, Gillislee led all NFL running backs with a 5.7 yards per carry average.
- Also at Buffalo, Chargers offensive line coachPat Meyer worked on the support staff from 2015-16 and Chargers defensive coach Giff Smithserved in the same capacity for the Bills when Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore and WR Chris Hogan played at Buffalo in 2012.
- Patriots RB Mike Gillislee and CB Stephon Gilmore played with Chargers QB Cardale Jonesat Buffalo in 2016.
- Patriots WR Danny Amendola played with Chargers QB Kellen Clemens and T Joe Barksdale at the Rams in 2012. Clemens also played at St. Louis in 2011 when Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels and defensive line coachBrendan Daly both served in the same role for the Rams.
- Patriots LB David Harris played with Chargers QB Kellen Clemens at the New York Jets from 2007-10 and with Chargers C-G Matt Slauson from 2009-12. Chargers head coach Anthony Lynn also worked as the running backs coach (2009-14) and assistant head coach (2014) during Harris's tenure at the Jets.
- Patriots RB Dion Lewis and CB Johnson Bademosi were on the Browns' roster when Chargers WR-KRTravis Benjamin played at Cleveland. Chargers quarterbacks coach Shane Steichenwas also at Cleveland during that time working as an offensive quality control coach.
- Chargers DE Chris McCain was teammates with Patriots WR Brandin Cooks at New Orleans in 2016 and RB Mike Gillislee at Miami in 2014.
- Chargers T Russell Okung and NT Brandon Mebaneplayed alongside Patriots DL Alan Branch (2011-12) and DE Cassius Marsh (2014-15) at Seattle. Branch was also teammates with Chargers TE Sean McGrath at Seattle in 2012. Additionally, Chargers defensive coordinatorGus Bradley was the defensive coordinator for the Seahawks from 2009-12 and coached Branch there.
- Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt was the head coach of the Cardinals when Patriots DL Alan Branch played at Arizona from 2007- 10. Chargers head strength and conditioning coach John Lott also worked for the Cardinals during that time.
- Chargers running backs coach Alfredo Roberts was the tight ends coach for the Colts from 2012-15 and coached Patriots TE Dwayne Allen during that time. Patriots RB Dion Lewis, WR Phillip Dorsett and DL Lawrence Guy also played at Indianapolis when Roberts worked for the Colts.
- Chargers general manager Tom Telesco was the vice president of football operations at Indianapolis in 2012 when the Colts drafted Allen in the third round (64th overall) of the 2012 NFL Draft.
- Chargers special teams coordinator and assistant head coach George Stewart served as the wide receivers coach at Minnesota from 2007-16, during which time Patriots wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea was an offensive assistant/wide receivers coach and defensive line coach Brendan Daly oversaw the defensive line for the Vikings.
- Chargers quarterbacks coach Shane Steichenwas an offensive quality control coach for the Browns in 2013 when Patriots RB Dion Lewis and CB Johnson Bademosi played at Cleveland.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Patriots RB James White and Chargers RB Melvin Gordon shared the backfield at Wisconsin from 2011-13, helping the Badgers to consecutive Big 10 titles and Rose Bowl appearances in 2011 and 2012. White also played with Chargers FB Derek Watt (2012-13) and T Tyler Marz (2011-13) at Wisconsin.
- When Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett was a freshman at Miami, Chargers WR-KR Travis Benjamin was a senior on the Hurricanes' squad. The two receivers currently rank in the Top-10 in school history in both career receptions and receiving yards. Dorsett also played with Chargers S Rayshawn Jenkins at Miami from 2012-13.
- Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower was teammates with Chargers NT Damion Square at Alabama from 2009-11. Together, they helped the Crimson Tide to a perfect 14-0 record in 2009 and a 2010 BCS National Championship victory with a defensive unit that finished second in the nation in scoring defense, rushing defense and total defense that year. Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge was also a member of the support staff at Alabama during that time.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore and Chargers DE Melvin Ingram played together at South Carolina from 2009-11.
- Patriots DLs Trey Flowers and Deatrich Wise, Jr., played with Chargers TE Hunter Henry and DEDarius Philon at Arkansas. Patriots tight ends coach Nick Caley was also on staff as a defensive graduate assistant in 2013 when all four were on the Razorbacks' roster.
- Patriots OL Shaq Mason and Chargers DE Jerry Attaochu were teammates at Georgia Tech from 2011-13.
- Chargers QB Kellen Clemens and Patriots S Patrick Chung played one season together at Oregon in 2005.
- Chargers CB Michael Davisplayed with Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy (2013) and LB Harvey Langi (2014-16) at BYU.
- Patriots DL Adam Butler was teammates with Chargers C-G Spencer Pulley at Vanderbilt from 2012-15.
- Patriots DL Malcom Brown and Chargers S Adrian Phillips were teammates for two years at Texas from 2012-13.
- Patriots DB Eric Rowe was teammates with Chargers DT Tenny Palepoi at Utah from 2012-13 and T Sam Tevi from 2013-14.
- Patriots OL Cole Croston and Chargers CB Desmond King played together at Iowa from 2013-16.
- Chargers tight ends coach John McNulty coached the quarterbacks and served as offensive coordinator at Rutgers when Patriots DB Devin McCourty played for the Scarlet Knights from 2006-08.
- When Patriots head strength and conditioning coach Moses Cabrera was an assistant strength coach at Fresno State from 2007-09, Chargers G-TKenny Wigginsplayed for the Bulldogs.