A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Jaguars executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin spent three seasons (1991-93) as the head coach at Boston College. He also coached Boston College's quarterbacks from 1981-83, where he tutored Doug Flutie, who went on to win the Heisman Trophy in 1984 and play in the NFL, including two different stops with the Patriots.
- Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone coached the offensive line at Northeastern University for one year in 1994.
- Jaguars assistant special teams coordinator Mike Mallory was defensive coordinator and linebackers coached at Rhode Island from 1993-95.
- Jaguars assistant offensive line coach Tony Sparano Jr. was an assistant defensive line coach for the Hartford Colonials (Conn.) of the United Football League in 2010.
NORTH FLORIDA TIES
- Patriots OL Trent Brown, and DB J.C. Jackson all played collegiately at the University of Florida.
- Jaguars defensive line coach Marion Hobby played defensive end for the Patriots from 1990-92. During his three year tenure at New England, Hobby played in 42 regular-season games.
- Jaguars TE James O'Shaughnessy was traded to the Patriots from the Kansas City Chiefs in April 2017. He spent OTAs and training camp with the club before being waived during roster cut downs prior to the start of the 2017 regular season.
RELATED: Game Preview: Patriots at Jaguars
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick and Jacksonville executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin coached together at the Giants from 1988-1990, advancing to the playoffs twice in three years and winning Super Bowl XXV to conclude the 1990 season. Belichick was the defensive coordinator and secondary coach while Coughlin coached the wide receivers.
- Patriots running backs coach Ivan Fears coached the wide receivers at Syracuse when Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone played on the offensive line for the Orange.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played with Jaguars CB A.J. Bouye at Houston in 2015. Hoyer also played with Jaguars DL Calais Campbell at Arizona in Weeks 14-16 of 2012.
- Marrone was the head coach of the Bills from 2013-14 when Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore and WR Chris Hogan played at Buffalo. Several members of the Jacksonville staff also coached for the Bills in recent years, including offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett, assistant defensive line coach Jason Rebrovich, assistant offensive line coach Tony Sparano, Jr., and running backs coach Tyrone Wheatley, when current Patriots WR Chris Hogan and Gilmore had stints at Buffalo. Hogan and Gilmore also played with Jaguars DT Marcell Dareus in Buffalo.
- Additionally Gilmore played with Jaguars DE Lerentee McCray at Buffalo in 2016.
- Jaguars offensive line coach Pat Flaherty coached Patriots OL Trent Brown in the same role at San Francisco in 2016.
- Flaherty also coached tight ends and special teams at Iowa in 1999 while Patriots consultant to the head coach Bret Bielema was the linebackers coach for the Hawkeyes.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played with Jaguars S Tashaun Gipson at Cleveland from 2013-14.
- Jaguars WR Donte Moncrief played for Indianapolis with Patriots TE Dwayne Allen (2014-16) and WR Phillip Dorsett (2015-16).
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played with Jaguars CB Kenneth Acker at San Francisco in 2015.
- Patriots LB Nicholas Grigsby played with Jaguars S Cody Davis for the Rams in 2016.
- Jaguars S Tashaun Gipson played for Cleveland with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer (2013-14) and DL Danny Shelton (2015).
- Patriots director of pro personnel Dave Ziegler worked in Denver's scouting department when Jaguars DT Malik Jackson played there in 2012.
- Jaguars QB Cody Kessler played for Cleveland with Patriots DB Jason McCourty (2017) and DL Danny Shelton (2016-17).
- Patriots offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels and director of player personnel Nick Caserio were college teammates with Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell at John Carroll University.
- Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower played with Jaguars DT Marcell Dareus on a stout Alabama defense from 2009-10. The pair won the 2009 National Title together and that defense only surrendered 11.7 points per game, good for second in the nation. Hightower also played with Jacksonville RB Corey Grant in 2010 before Grant transferred to Auburn. Finally, Hightower shared the field with Jaguars LS Carson Tinker from 2008- 11.
- While at Auburn, Jaguars RB Corey Grant played with DB Jonathan Jones (2012-14) and LB Brandon King (2013-14).
- Patriots C David Andrews was teammates with Jaguars DT Abry Jones at Georgia from 2011-12.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore played with Jaguars OL A.J. Cann at South Carolina from 2010-11.
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett was teammates with Jaguars OL Brandon Linder at Miami from 2011-13.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen was teammates with Jaguars OL Tyler Shatley at Clemson from 2009-11. Jaguars defensive line coach Marion Hobby was also an assistant defensive coach when Allen played for the Tigers.
- Patriots RB James White played for Wisconsin with Jaguars LB Leon Jacobs in 2013.
- Patriots G Ted Karras attended Illinois, where he played with Jaguars DE Dawuane Smoot.
- Jaguars RB Corey Grant played at Alabama for one year (2010) when Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge was a football analyst and special teams assistant with the Crimson Tide. Grant also played with Patriots DBs Jonathan Jones and Brandon King from 2012-14 when he transferred to Auburn to finish his collegiate career.
- Patriots WR Matthew Slater played at UCLA when Jaguars assistant linebackers coach Mike Rutenberg was a defensive graduate assistant for the Bruins.
- Patriots DB Nate Ebner played with Jaguars DT Michael Bennett at Ohio State in 2011.
- Jaguars DL Taven Bryan played for Florida with Patriots OL Trent Brown (2014), and DB J.C. Jackson (2014) Jaguars DE Dante Fowler Jr. also played with Brown (2013-14) and Jackson (2014).
- Patriots RB Rex Burkhead shared the field with Jaguars TE Niles Paul at Nebraska from 2009-10.
- Patriots OL LaAdrian Waddle played at Texas Tech with Jaguars S Cody Davis from 2009-12.
- Patriots DL Adam Butler played for Vanderbilt with Jaguars CB Tre Herndon from 2014-16. Jaguars offensive assistant John Donovan was the offensive coordinator and running backs coach at Vanderbilt from 2011- 13 with Butler and Herndon.
- Patriots DL Danny Shelton played with Jaguars WR Jaydon Mickens on Washington from 2012-14 and TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins from 2011- 13.
- Patriots coaching assistant DeMarcus Covington worked as a defensive graduate assistant at Mississippi while Jaguars WR Donte Moncrief played there in 2013.
- Patriots DB Nate Ebner played for Ohio State with Jaguars OL Andrew Norwell from 2010-11.
- Patriots OL Joe Thuney played with Jaguars OL Will Richardson Jr. at N.C. State from 2014-15.
- Patriots coaching assistant Atif Austin was the running backs coach at Stetson when Jaguars LB Donald Payne played there in 2013.
- Patriots tight ends coach Brendan Daly coached at Maryland as a graduate assistant while Jaguars assistant special teams coordinator Mike Mallory was a linebackers coach there in 2000.
- Patriots DB J.C. Jackson played at Maryland while Jaguars wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell coached in the same capacity there in 2016.