A look at the connections between the New England Patriots and the Houston Texans.
NEW ENGLAND TIES
- Houston head coach Bill O'Brien was born in Dorchester, Mass., grew up in Andover, and attended St. John's Prep in Danvers. O'Brien also played linebacker and defensive end at Brown from 1990-92 and later coached at the university.
- Texans general manager Brian Gaine played tight end at the University of Maine and served as a team captain his senior year.
- Texans wide receivers coach John Perry graduated from New Hampshire and later coached at the university in addition to stints at Northeastern, Brown, Dartmouth and Merrimack College.
- Houston quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan coached at Boston College from 2001- 02 and also worked at Harvard for the 2006 season.
- Texans TE Ryan Griffin went to Connecticut and is originally from Londonderry, N.H.
- Patriots RB Rex Burkhead hails from Plano, Texas, and attended Plano High School where he was a standout dual-sport athlete, earning multiple district and state honors in both football and basketball.
- Patriots DL Malcom Brown went to Texas and is originally from Brenham, Texas.
- New England OL Marcus Cannon went to Texas Christian and is originally from Odessa, Texas.
- New England LB Elandon Roberts went to Houston is originally from Port Arthur, Texas.
- Patriots DB Eric Rowe is originally from Klein, Texas, and attended Klein High School.
- New England OL LaAdrian Waddle went to Texas Tech and is originally from Columbus, Texas.
- Patriots DL Deatrich Wise Jr. is from Carrollton, Texas, and attended Hebron High School.
- Patriots wide receivers coach Chad O'Shea was born in Houston, Texas. He played at the University of Houston from 1994-95 and coached there from 1996-99.
- Patriots DL Adam Butler is from Duncanville, Texas, and was a two-time captain on the football team at Duncanville High School.
- Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia had two different coaching stints at Southern Methodist University, first as an offensive line assistant in 1975-76 and later as the offensive line coach in 1980-81.
- Houston head coach Bill O'Brien spent the 2007-11 seasons in New England. The Andover, Mass., native was the Patriots offensive assistant in 2007, wide receivers coach in 2008, quarterbacks coach from 2009-10 and offensive coordinator/ quarterbacks in 2011.
- Texans assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel was the defensive coordinator for the Patriots from 2001-04 and coached New England's defensive line from 1993-96.
- Texans offensive/special teams assistant Wes Welker had a six-year playing career with the Patriots from 2007-12. He was selected to the Pro Bowl or All- Pro team every year of his Patriots career and still holds the top five single-season reception totals in franchise history.
- Texans special teams coordinator Brad Seely worked in the same capacity with the Patriots from 1999-2008 and was a part of three Super Bowl-winning teams.
- Texans CB Johnson Bademosi played at New England in 2017, appearing in all 16 games.
- Texans S A.J. Moore went to training camp with New England in 2018 and was claimed off waivers and awarded to Houston on Sept. 2, 2018.
- Patriots director of college scouting Monti Ossenfort gained his first personnel experience in the league as an intern with the Texans in 2002 and later became a college scout for the club.
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played for Houston in 2015, notching a career-high 19 touchdowns over 11 games. He became the first QB in Texans history to throw two or more touchdown passes in five consecutive games.
FORMER NFL TEAMMATES
- Texans assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel coached with New England head coach Bill Belichick at the New York Giants from 1981-90 and at the New York Jets from 1997-99.
- Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was the assistant head coach and secondary coach for the New York Jets while Texans general manager Brian Gaine worked in the team's scouting department in 1999. Patriots director of football and head coach administration Berj Najarian was also in New York with Gaine in 1999.
- Houston special teams coordinator Brad Seely was the special teams coach for Oakland with Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson in 2017 while Patterson returned kicks. Houston assistant special teams coach Tracy Smith also coached Patterson in Oakland.
- Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia worked for Indianapolis in the same capacity with Texans special teams coordinator Brad Seely from 1989- 1990. Seely worked as special teams and tight ends coach for the Colts.
- Houston CB Johnathan Joseph and Patriots FB James Develin were teammates at the Cincinnati Bengals.
- Texans defensive line coach Anthony Weaver worked in Buffalo when Patriots WR Chris Hogan played for the Bills.
- Patriots DL Lawrence Guy was coached by Texans senior defensive assistant and outside linebackers coach John Pagano when Pagano was defensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Chargers from 2013-14.
- Texans OL Seantrel Henderson played for Buffalo with Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore (2012-16) and WR Chris Hogan (2012-15). Texans assistant secondary coach D'Anton Lynn worked as a defensive assistant for Buffalo with Hogan and Gilmore.
- Patriots OL Trent Brown played for the 49ers with Texans WR Bruce Ellington in 2015.
- Texans S Marcus Gilchrist was teammates with Patriots DL Lawrence Guy at San Diego in 2013 and 2014.
- Texans DE Angelo Blackson played for Tennessee with Patriots DB Jason Mc- Courty.
- Texans CB Johnson Bademosi played for the Browns with Patriots QB Brian Hoyer (2013-14) and DL Danny Shelton (2015).
- Patriots QB Brian Hoyer played at Arizona with Texans OL Senio Kelemete in 2012.
- Texans WR Sammie Coates Jr. played for Cleveland with Patriots DB Jason Mc- Courty and DL Danny Shelton in 2017.
- Patriots LB Kyle Van Noy played on Detroit with Texans CB Johnson Bademosi in 2016.
- Texans QB Joe Webb III played for Minnesota with Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson in 2013 while Patriots defensive line coach Brendan Daly worked in the same capacity for the Vikings from 2012-13.
FORMER COLLEGE TEAMMATES
- Patriots RB James White played one season (2010) with Texans DE J.J. Watt at Wisconsin. Watt played under consultant to the head coach Bret Bielema from 2009-10 when he was head coach at Wisconsin.
- Texans CB Kareem Jackson and Patriots LB Dont'a Hightower were teammates on Alabama's 2009 National Championship team, and Patriots special teams coach Joe Judge was also a member of the Crimson Tide's support staff.
- Patriots CB Stephon Gilmore was college teammates with Texans DE Jadeveon Clowney and WR Bruce Ellington at South Carolina for one season in 2011.
- Patriots TE Dwayne Allen and Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins played together at Clemson University from 2010-11. In 2011, Hopkins and Allen finished in the topthree on the team in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. Allen was also teammates with Texans S Marcus Gilchrist from 2008-10 at Clemson.
- Houston secondary coach Anthony Midget was the secondary coach and special teams coordinator before becoming defensive coordinator at Georgia State when Patriots OL Shaq Mason played there.
- Patriots WR Phillip Dorsett played with Texans RB Lamar Millar at Miami in 2011and OL Seantrel Henderson from 2011-13.
- Patriots DB Jonathan Jones and DB Brandon King played with Texans WR Sammie Coates Jr. and DE Angelo Blackson at Auburn.
- Texans RB Alfred Blue played on LSU with Patriots RB Jeremy Hill (2012-13).
- Patriots DL Geneo Grissom played with Texans CB Aaron Colvin at Oklahoma from 2011-13.
- Patriots G Ted Karras shared the field with Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus at Illinois.
- Patriots WR Cordarrelle Patterson played for Tennessee with Texans OL Zach Fulton.
- Patriots DL Danny Shelton played for Washington with Texans OL Senio Kelemete in 2011.
- Texans LB Zach Cunningham shared the field with Patriots DL Adam Butler at Vanderbilt from 2013-16.