HOBBS SETS PATRIOTS RECORD FOR MOST KICKOFF RETURN YARDAGE IN A GAME
Ellis Hobbs totaled 237 yards on six kickoff returns, setting a Patriots record for most kickoff return yardage in a game. Hobbs topped the previous Patriots record of 220 kickoff return yards, set by Kevin Faulk against the New York Jets on Dec. 22, 2002. Hobbs had long kickoff returns of 81 yards and 50 yards en route to his record against the Dolphins. His 82-yard return in the third quarter set up Matt Cassel's 5-yard touchdown pass to Jabar Gaffney. Playing in his 50th career game today, Hobbs returned the opening kickoff of the game 50 yards to the Miami 49-yard line. In his 50-game career, Hobbs has now recorded six kickoff returns of 50 yards or longer and nine kickoff returns of 40 yards or longer.
GAFFNEY SCORESJabar Gaffney snared a 5-yard touchdown pass from Matt Cassel on fourth-and-three with 3:20 remaining in the third quarter to cut the Miami lead to 28-13. The touchdown catch was Gaffney's first of the season and the 14th of his career. Last season, Gaffney set a career high with five touchdown receptions.
EVEN STEPHENStephen Gostkowski was two-for-two on field goals, connecting from 37 yards and 44 yards. Today's kicks were Gostkowski's 13th and 14th consecutive successful regular-season field goals, extending the longest success streak of his career, and tying the fourth-longest streak in Patriots history (also achieved by Tony Franklin from 10/26/86 to 11/23/86). Gostkowski has now made 27 of his last 29 regular-season field goals (93.1 percent) and is 57-for-67 in his regular-season and playoff career, with his 85.1 percent accuracy rate standing as the highest in Patriots history. Last week against the Jets, Gostkowski tied his career high with a 4-for-4 field goal performance.
GOSTKOWSKI MOVES INTO NINTH PLACE ON PATRIOTS SCORING LISTOn his extra point following New England's third-quarter touchdown, Stephen Gostkowski passed running back Tony Collins to move into ninth place on the Patriots' all-time scoring list. The extra point gave Gostkowski 265 career points, moving him past Collins's total of 264 points for the Patriots from 1981-87. Running back Jim Nance ranks eighth with 276 points from 1965-71.
- 2008 Patriots Hall of Fame Inductee Ben Coates served as an honorary captain at the coin toss.
- Patriots tackle Matt Light is playing in his 100th career game today. Light, a 2008 offensive captain, was drafted by the Patriots in the second round (48th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft.
- Sam Aiken made his Patriots debut today after missing the first two games of the season. Aiken, signed as a free agent from the Buffalo Bills in the offseason, caught his first pass in a New England uniform in the second quarter, a 9-yard catch on third-and-two
- Wes Welker gained 19 yards on a reverse in the first quarter. The play was Welker's sixth career rushing attempt and his first of 2008. Last season, Welker rushed four times for 34 yards.
- Tedy Bruschi tackled Ronnie Brown for a loss of one yard in the third quarter.
- Richard Seymour batted down a Chad Pennington pass intended for tight end David Martin on third-and-two on the Dolphins' first possession of the game, forcing a Miami punt on the next play.
- Adalius Thomas batted down a Pennington pass intended for Ted Ginn on third-and-five in the third quarter, forcing a Miami punt on the next play.