Quarterbacks MARK BRUNELL of the Washington Redskins, MARC BULGER of the St. Louis Rams and REX GROSSMAN of the Chicago Bears are the finalists for FedEx Express NFL Player of the Week honors for games played on October 1-2, while running backs JULIUS JONES of the Dallas Cowboys, LAURENCE MARONEY of the New England Patriots and CLINTON PORTIS of the Washington Redskins are the finalists for FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week honors, the NFL announced today.
Fans can vote for one player in each category on NFL.com from 9am EST on Tuesday through 6pm EST on Thursday to determine the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week. The winners will be announced Thursday evening on NFL.com.
Fans will be voting for more than their favorite player. For the third season in a row, the weekly FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week Awards are a win for the local community. Along with the award, FedEx will donate $5,000 every week to the local children's hospital in each winning market. The children's hospitals in the two season-long winner's markets, announced at this year's Super Bowl, will be awarded $25,000 each. That means that FedEx will deliver nearly $250,000 to local children's hospitals around the country in recognition of the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Week Award winners.
A closer look at the FedEx Express NFL Player of the Week finalists:
- Washington's MARK BRUNELL completed 18 of 30 passes for 329 yards and three touchdowns for a passer rating of 117.2 in the Redskins' 36-30 overtime victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Brunell's three touchdown passes all went to wide receiver Santana Moss, including a 68-yard game-winner in OT.
- St. Louis' MARC BULGER threw for 328 yards, completing 26 of 42 passes with three touchdowns for a passer rating of 110.0 in the Rams' 41-34 victory over the Detroit Lions. Bulger threw touchdown passes of five, 16 and 16 yards in the come-from-behind win.
- Chicago's REX GROSSMAN had a 100.5 passer rating in the Bears' 37-6 victory over the Seattle Seahawks, completing 17 of 31 passes for 232 yards and two touchdowns. Grossman put the Bears in front 7-3 with a nine-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter, before adding a 40-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter.
A closer look at the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week finalists:
- Dallas' JULIUS JONES rushed for 122 yards and one touchdown on 23 carries in the Cowboys' 45-14 victory over the Tennessee Titans. Jones scored on a five-yard touchdown run in the third quarter for a 21-6 lead.
- New England's LAURENCE MARONEY carried 15 times for 125 yards and two touchdowns in the Patriots' 38-13 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals. Maroney scored on touchdown runs of 11 and 25 yards.
- Washington's CLINTON PORTIS carried 27 times for 112 yards and one touchdown in the Redskins' 36-30 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars. His one-yard third-quarter touchdown dive put Washington in front 20-17
FedEx, the premier global provider of transportation, e-commerce and supply-chain management services, is the Official Delivery Service Sponsor of the NFL, Super Bowl and Pro Bowl. Through the weekly FedEx Air & Ground Awards, FedEx recognizes those NFL players who represent the same speed, precision and teamwork that their customers have come to expect from the full range of FedEx air, ground, freight and international shipping services.